Julie's Reviews > Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations

Good Talk by Mira Jacob

bookshelves: 2019, comics-manga, e-book, memoir, non-fiction, overdrive

Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversation by Mira Jacobs is a 2019 One World publication.

Thought provoking, humorous, deeply revealing, and heart wrenching

A new- found interest in graphic novels led me to this book originally. When I started reading this book, I had no idea I was about to have my emotions put through the wringer. Despite the raw feelings exposed in this novel, I can’t stress how important I think the book is. All Americans should give this book a try, because so many people are too squeamish to have these tough discussions, and I think this book could help promote understanding and healing.

Mira Jacob’s six year old son begins asking his mother some pointed and blunt questions about skin tone, race, and other situations in his life, prompting Mira to think of the conflicted messages she received while growing up, while allowing a few pent up frustrations to surface, as she ponders the best way to address her son’s questions.

For regular readers of graphic novels, the artwork might come as a bit of a surprise. The graphics consist of real photographs with superimposed artwork added in. The art is not eye popping, with well -drawn facial expressions or vivid colorization. In fact, to be blunt, the author used some of the same artwork in several photographs more than once, and the features are very plain. However, there is a method to the madness, and if one thinks about it, this is a more fitting approach, and is most assuredly done by design.

I truly appreciated the reality of this memoir. It is frank, raw, messy, and very honest. Often there are no pat answers and each person’s situation is unique. For Mira, she is an Indian with a darker complexion and her husband is Jewish. Her mixed- race son, Z, is quite perceptive, especially in our current political climate, and his questions prompt some uncomfortable conversations. This is a good thing, though. Mira doesn’t always know how to answer Z, something all parents can understand. Yet, when it comes to race and bigotry, explanations can be a bit tricky.

At times Mira can seem a little sharp, as her frustrations spill over causing a little friction in her marriage. But this is part of her journey, which in having these frank conversations with her son, friends, husband, extended family and others on the periphery of her life, she discovers certain truths about herself.

I had a good, heaving cry while reading this book. It truly made my heart hurt. Dear Mira, I do hope you know that many people, despite not living within the same set of circumstances as yourself, do very keenly feel your pain.
As serious as all this sounds, the book is markedly funny at times, and it is even cathartic in some ways. The title of the book is apt- This is indeed a “Good Talk”, one we all should consider taking part in.
A must read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Talk.

October 3, 2019 – Started Reading
October 3, 2019 – Shelved as: memoir
October 3, 2019 – Shelved as: non-fiction
October 3, 2019 – Shelved as: overdrive
October 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)

message 1: by Dita (new)

Dita Wonderful review!

Julie Dita wrote: "Wonderful review!"

Thank you, Dita!! 💖

Julie Dean the Bibliophage wrote: "Great review"

Thank you, Dean!! 💖

message 4: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Excellent review Julie!🤗💖

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Excellent review Julie!🤗💖"

Thank you, Kaceey!! 💖

message 6: by Paige (new)

Paige Great review, Julie. We have been through these situations quite a number of times and our oldest is only 8. My children are mixed. When she was in kindergarten some girls said she couldn't play with them because she wasn't girl #1's color (white) or girl #2 color (black) and then they told her "see you're nothing".....

message 7: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Terrific review, Julie! This does sound like a must read!

Julie Paige wrote: "Great review, Julie. We have been through these situations quite a number of times and our oldest is only 8. My children are mixed. When she was in kindergarten some girls said she couldn't play wi..."

Oh dear. 😢 Kids can be so mean, usually out of ignorance. All the more reason we should have these conversations with our children, no matter what one's circumstances are. Books like this one will certainly help to put things into perspective for those who simply don't get it, and... For those who think they get it, but haven't really seen things through the eyes of someone living it. 🤗💖

Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill Great review Julie!

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! This does sound like a must read!"

Thank you, Antoinette! Yes, I highly recommend it! 💖

Julie Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill wrote: "Great review Julie!"

Thank you, Kim!! 💖

Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters Oh my God Julie this is the best best review!!!!!!

Thank you so much ....

I love everything about this book in audio and physical graphic book.

You are really amazing… And I’m feeling so incredibly burned out to write anything anymore but I’m so glad I read your review and thank you for all the incredible reviews you write.

I think I’m on my way out I’m getting so burned out but I am so impressed and truly indebted to you..., having some idea how hard you work too!!!!

MUCH LOVE!!!!

Julie Elyse wrote: "Oh my God Julie this is the best best review!!!!!!

Thank you so much ....

I love everything about this book in audio and physical graphic book.

You are really amazing… And I’m feeling so incred..."

Thank you, dear Elyse!! I understand how you feel. I get burned out at times too. Take good care!! 💖😊💖

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fantastic review, Julie! So glad you enjoyed it. 💞

Julie Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! So glad you enjoyed it. 💞"

Thank you, Mary Beth!! 💖

message 16: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee This is such a thought provoking review Julie - fantastic.

Julie Ceecee wrote: "This is such a thought provoking review Julie - fantastic."

Thank you, dear Ceecee!! 💖

message 18: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Langford Great review Julie !!

Julie Lucy wrote: "Great review Julie !!"

Thank you, Lucy!! 💖

message 20: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Excellent review, Julie!

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen Fab review Julie! 😊

Julie Candi wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you very much, Candi! 💖

Julie Karen wrote: "Fab review Julie! 😊"

Thank you, Karen!! 💖

Deborah Enjoyed your review as I did the book. I definitely recommend.

message 25: by Angela M (new) - added it

Angela M Julie, such a wonderful review. I have to read this.

message 26: by Brandice (new) - added it

Brandice Great review Julie, I want to read this one! :)

message 27: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Excellent, heartfelt review 👸🌹🏆

Julie Deborah wrote: "Enjoyed your review as I did the book. I definitely recommend."

Thank you, Deborah!! I agree- everyone should read this book! 💖

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Excellent, heartfelt review 👸🌹🏆"

Thank you very much, TQ!! 💖

Julie Brandice wrote: "Great review Julie, I want to read this one! :)"

Thank you, Brandice!! I hope you can add it to your reading list! I think you will like it! 💖

Julie Angela M wrote: "Julie, such a wonderful review. I have to read this."

Thank you, dear Angela!! Yes, I highly recommend it. I think you'll appreciate it! 💖

message 32: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Fantabulous review Julie!!😉💝👍💋

Julie Kat wrote: "Fantabulous review Julie!!😉💝👍💋"

Thank you, Kat!!💖😊💖

message 34: by Libby (new)

Libby Excellent review, Julie!

Julie Libby wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you, Libby!! 💖

Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell Great review, Julie! I really enjoyed this one, too.

Julie Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ wrote: "Great review, Julie! I really enjoyed this one, too."

Thank you very much, Nenia! 💖😊💖

message 38: by Paromjit (new)

Paromjit Fabulous review, Julie and so insightful. 😘💕

message 39: by Tina (new)

Tina So glad it was a good one for you Julie! Love your review! :)

Julie Paromjit wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie and so insightful. 😘💕"

Thank you, Paromjit!!💖😊💖

Julie Tina wrote: "So glad it was a good one for you Julie! Love your review! :)"

Thank you, Tina!! 💖😊💖

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Lovely review, babe! Glad you got a winner <3 x

Julie Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Lovely review, babe! Glad you got a winner <3 x"

Thank you, dear Alex!! 😊💖😊

message 44: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Lovely review, Julie! This sounds amazing!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Lovely review, Julie! This sounds amazing!"

Thank you, dear Meredith!! 😊💖

message 46: by JanB (new)

JanB I've only read one graphic novel by Roz Chast and was amazed at how meaningful it was and how it touched me. This sounds terrific. I love your review 💖

Julie JanB wrote: "I've only read one graphic novel by Roz Chast and was amazed at how meaningful it was and how it touched me. This sounds terrific. I love your review 💖"

Thank you so much, Jan!! I keep hearing about Roz Chast. I need to check out her books. 💖

message 48: by Amy (new)