Vanessa Fuller's Reviews > Hiding in Plain Sight: The Invention of Donald Trump and the Erosion of America

Hiding in Plain Sight by Sarah Kendzior

bookshelves: academic, anthropology, books-i-own, non-fiction, political, us

Sarah Kendzior is a writer and journalist I admire, for her ability to cut through the noise and get to the point. For her ability to pinpoint larger, more systemic issues which remain largely ignored by far too many. The View From Flyover Country is necessary reading. And, so is this.

Despite buying this book shortly after its release, I put off reading this book for some time because I knew it would be too enraging. I knew, in part, it would break me just a little bit more. And that's quite something given where we have collectively been and how we got here.

But, finishing this book the morning after Trump was impeached for the second time, after a mere 10 of 207 House Republicans voted for that impeachment, has left me shattered. Why? Because many of those remaining 197 Representatives, despite having survived that horrid event and admitting during the debate that the President was directly responsible for inviting the siege and encouraging the attempt to overthrow the Legislative branch of the government, still voted against impeachment. Yet, another smoking gun from the President himself was ignored

Whilst tragic and heart-breaking to read, Kendzior's writing is so, so beautiful. And, sadly, the tale itself is necessary, primarily since she preserves for future historians. Perhaps they can better describe and allow future generations to understand how the US ended up here, and ultimately how half of us cheered this madness on.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hiding in Plain Sight.

October 3, 2019 – Shelved