Jena Henry's Reviews > The Reading Life: The Joy of Seeing New Worlds Through Others' Eyes

The Reading Life by C.S. Lewis

For many of us in 2019, Mr. Lewis may seem to be a daunting and iconic towering figure of literature. Although you may know of his works of fantasy, Christian thought, or literary essays, I suspect that many of us today might react to his name with a shrug. “Oh, his work is too deep for me; I can’t understand him.”

I suggest you take some time for yourself, for your soul, and give The Reading Life a try. This is a book to take to your garden. As you enjoy the sun, a light breeze, chirping birds, and pretty flowers, relax and fill yourself with the sublime words of C.S. Lewis.

Mr. Lewis wrote over 30 works and was a literary professor, but most of all, he loved the reading life. This book has two main parts. The first part features essays and excerpts by Mr. Lewis “On the Art and Joy of Reading”. The selected essays are a good introduction to Lewis. The second part features “Short Readings on Reading.” This section features small bites of his pithy prose.

Mr. Lewis tells us that “he grew up in a sea of books.” He makes a case for reading the old classics. By doing this, we are going back to foundational writings, the source, so we can determine the meaning for ourselves. In another essay he gives us a way to determine if we are a true reader. You may be surprised to learn that he approved of reading books for pleasure!

I read the entire book from beginning to end, in preparation for this review. But this is a book I will cherish, and I will enjoy “dipping in” into it to reread parts of it over and over. I recommend that you give yourself the pleasure and delight of getting to know Mr. Lewis. If you already familiar with his works, this book will be like chatting with a good friend. Please consider giving this book to your family and friends who are readers.

Thanks to the editors of this book, David C. Downing, Codirector of the Marion E. Wade Center at Wheaton College and Michael G. Maudlin, Senior Vice President and Executive Editor, HarperOne. Many thanks to HarperOne, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers for the lovely hardback book review copy. This is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reading Life.

Finished Reading