M Christopher's Reviews > Uncommon Decency: Christian Civility in an Uncivil World

Uncommon Decency by Richard J. Mouw

bookshelves: theology

This is a book that I recommend for ALL people of faith, especially Christians. Especially Christians because it is written for us by a leading Christian scholar. For all people of faith because we all so badly need to be reminded of how decency and civility are woven into the callings of our faiths.

Richard J. Mouw, President of Fuller Seminary, has taken as his topic the failure of civil society to be, well, civil. Like so many of us, he mourns the way in which political and religious dialogue has turned into diatribe. He quotes Martin Marty, who said that the problem with today's society is that too often "civil people lack strong convictions and people of strong convictions lack civility." Mouw calls for careful hearing and careful speaking -- not a center-less "anything goes," but a "convicted civility" in which people both hold strong beliefs and honor the beliefs of others by pursuing Shalom.

There are many things that Mouw says in this book that I disagree with. That is part of the point. He is unashamed of his principles as I am of mine. What he and I both hold up is both the possibility and the crucial importance of disagreeing with civility and decency. I would be honored to argue with him about our points of divergence because I could rest easy in the knowledge that we have a far more important point of convergence; namely, the love of Christ.

A fine book by a deeply thoughtful man of good will.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uncommon Decency.

March 23, 2012 – Started Reading