Josiah's Reviews > The Demon in Democracy: Totalitarian Temptations in Free Societies

The Demon in Democracy by Ryszard Legutko

bookshelves: political-theory, best-of-2019

I got the privilege of reading this book for a book club last year, so the discussion may have biased me a little on this book and I’m not sure how much I agree with all of its points. But as a book questioning the sustainability of Enlightenment-era liberal democracies, it sparked a lot of valuable thoughts on my end. My only real nit-pickings with the book was a lack of clear definitions of what exactly the author meant by "liberalism" (modern progressivism or classical liberalism? He tended to waffle between the meanings in some confusing ways, which may be partially due to English not being the author's first language) and an overly-negative view of Protestantism from the author's Catholic perspective. Aside from those things, however, while I didn't agree with everything Legutko said, I was glad to have read and discussed the book.

Rating: 4 Stars (Very Good).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon in Democracy.

October 2, 2019 – Started Reading