Jennifer's Reviews > Dreams of 18

Dreams of 18 by Saffron A. Kent

* A review copy was provided by the author *

~ 3 Age is just a number Stars ~

Dreams of 18 is a book I was so excited to read!! I am always looking for new authors to read and I have never read a book by Saffron A. Kent. I was intrigued after reading the blurb. I love an age gap romance. I also was intrigued by the taboo factor of the story.

I enjoyed this story, but I have to say I wasn’t WOW’d. I was completely sucked in to the first half of the story, but then the second half, something fell flat for me. I felt that the heroine of the story changed as the story progressed.

In the beginning I felt she was teenager that was wise beyond her years, but in the second half while interacting with Graham, I felt she was acting more like an immature teenager. It’s really hard to explain with our spoiling the story. I guess I lost my connection with the heroine and also the connection between Graham and Violet was not believable in the second half of the book. I think this is just a case of it’s me not you type thing.

Dream of 18 is a standalone novel and is told primarily from Violet’s POV, but we do get some of Graham’s. This book was definitely a slow burn and I felt it was a little longer than it needed to be. The pace is on the slower side, a little to slow for my liking.

In this book we follow Graham and Violet’s story. This is angst filled taboo/forbidden romance with a large age gap. When the story starts we meet a 16 year old Violet who has just caught a glimpse of her older neighbor and the connection is instant. Over the next two year that attraction grows until she is tipsy on her 18th birthday and decides to kiss Graham…her older neighbor and best friend’s dad. That didn’t go over to well. Now 10 months later and we see what the fall out of that kiss is and how Graham and Violet handle the situation. Like I said I really liked Violet in the beginning, but that changed as the story went on. I also had a hard time connecting to Graham. He was a little too surly for me. I thought his abrasive behavior was a little over the top. It made the ending and their connection not believable….in my opinion.

I know I am probably in the minority here with my rating and review. I think this is a book many will love. Just because it wasn’t a 5 star read for me doesn’t mean anyone who likes an age gap romance shouldn’t give this book a try.

I look forward to trying out other books by this author in the future.

Follow Us at :: Book Bitches Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams of 18.

October 2, 2019 – Started Reading