Meltha's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mar 24, 2012

bookshelves: dystopia, science-fiction
Read from April 02 to 03, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I was trying to come up with a comment on this book. I sat and stared out the window for a long time after finishing it, trying to assess what I actually was thinking, what my opinion was. I have to admit, I'm still not sure.

I began to suspect there could be no real "happy ending" to this series somewhere in the second book. I don't think I was quite prepared for the sheer bleakness that occured with this section, though. That's not to say the book was bad; quite the opposite. It was a good book, but emotionally exhausting and oddly soul crushing.

Even in the semi-happy epilogue, I can see the seeds that nothing has changed, the children play unwittingly on the graves of the dead, people will forget, and this will all eventually come round again.

The level of brutality has always been high in these books, but the bombing of the children, the eventual realization that Coin is roughly as evil as Snow, the death of Prim, the mother unable to come home even for her severely broken child, Katniss's descent into madness and repeated attempted suicide, Peeta's insanity, Haymitch's relapse into alcoholism, the eventual conclusion that sooner or later we're going to all kill one another because humanity is evil... yeah. Bleak is the main word that comes to mind here.

Maybe a race of hyper-intelligent, ugly, yellow cats will eventually inherit the earth. They sure as heck couldn't do much worse than humanity.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Quotes Meltha Liked

Suzanne Collins
“What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again.”

Suzanne Collins
“Well, don't expect us to be too impressed. We just saw Finnick Odair in his underwear.”

Suzanne Collins
“Because something is significantly wrong with a creature that sacrifices its children's lives to settle its differences. You can spin it any way you like... But in the end, who does it benefit? No one. The truth is, it benefits no one to live in a world where these things happen”

Suzanne Collins
“Some walks you have to take alone.”

03/03/2016 marked as: read