buzy_reading's Reviews > Master of the Phantom Isle

Master of the Phantom Isle by Brandon Mull

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

The mission should these two young caretakers choose to accept it is for Kendra to save Seth and restore the sanctuary while Seth becomes indebted to the Underking. Kendra summons the help from magical creatures of the light while Seth draws help from the darkness.
The journey they began in Fablehaven helped establish skills and knowledge for new adventures in the dragon sanctuary.
Once again Kendra and Seth drew upon the magical creatures to aid in their adventures.
This is a character driven story with quick introductions of previous characters. I read Fablehaven in 2009, so it’s been ten years since I’ve ventured into Brandon Mull’s fantasy world. Truthfully, all I remember are the main characters names: Kendra and Seth. I wasn’t expecting all the same characters. I did expect some new supporting characters, but not at the rate that they were introduced.

Overall:
I was expecting the same type of story as Fablehaven. I remember loving this series.
This is a stand-alone sequel series to Fablehaven. Since I loved the Fablehaven series and all its cast of characters I thought this would be an extension of that series. Meaning I had hoped that the writing style and adventures would be similar. What I found was a similar cast of characters, but an entirely different agenda. The writing and the adventures were not even the same caliber as Fablehaven. It’s as if it’s not written by the same author.
I’m not finding my groove or rhythm with this book. I was expecting to like this story much like I did Fablehaven. Unfortunately, this doesn’t read anything like that series. Sadly, I can’t help comparing this book to Fablehaven because it was so outstanding.
The real heroes are the new magical creatures. They are the ones with the knowledge and skills necessary to achieve these quests that Kendra and Seth were assigned.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master of the Phantom Isle.

October 1, 2019 – Started Reading