Anna's Reviews > Legacy

Mar 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, tudor, buddy-read, read-in-2012, 3-stars
Read from May 17 to 30, 2012

Rating: 3.5 stars Review to follow.

Buddy read with Jemidar, Rio, Orsolya, Tom, Lynn and Jackleen :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legacy.

05/18/2012 page 30
5.0% "Read chapter 1 last night, and already know this is going to be a good'un!" 10 comments
05/19/2012 page 150
23.0% "Let the love triangle begin......"
05/22/2012 page 188
29.0% "Off to the Tower..."
05/22/2012 page 245
38.0% "'It is our Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes.' Hello Queenie."
05/23/2012 page 302
47.0% "Put your bits away Robin, she ain't gonna let ya."
05/28/2012 page 374
58.0% "Finally back reading and online after a big family weekend. Hopefully no more interruptions now for the rest of this book :-)"
05/29/2012 page 451
70.0% "No WAY did she do THAT." 5 comments
05/29/2012 page 567
88.0% "Bye bye Bobby." 6 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Jemidar Another one for our buddy list? I already have a copy of it here waiting to go :-).

Anna You're far too well prepared! Yes please, but I've not got this one yet either. Gotta get me over to Amazon and Ebay.....!

Anna Ok, back from A/E. Legacy is no problem, nice and cheap. The Sister Queens is waaaay over my budget at the mo though :-(

Jemidar As I have over 400 hundred books physically here waiting to be read I should think I could be classed as excessively prepared!

Yeah, realized you wouldn't be buying SQ yet as it's just out. Pity you don't have a Kindle as Legacy was available for about $2 this week. Will add them both to our pile :-).

message 5: by Anna (last edited Mar 24, 2012 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Haha, I don't know how it's even possible to have 400 books in a house, they must be floor to ceiling!

Legacy was cheap as chips, so I've got that ordered. I thought I was all Tudored out, but this one has really sparked my interest again.

Rio (Lynne) This was another one I added. Couldn't pass up $1.59.

message 7: by Jemidar (last edited Mar 24, 2012 09:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar My overflowing 400+ TBR pile lives in bookcases in our bedroom. My keepers are in a bookcase in another room. I've also got quite a few others that I have no idea what they are packed up in boxes in the garage.

My partner is as bad as me and has at least as many books as I do (if not more) and his live in the bookcases in the lounge and dining rooms, as well as in boxes in the garage and stored at our house down the coast. You'll be pleased to know that Darcy is the sensible one and only has a small stash in his room. LOL.

And lets not talk about e-books on our readers and computers :-o. Or for that matter the large collection of DVDs that take up another couple bookcases in the house and more boxes in the garage. So as you can imagine, most of our furniture besides the basics for living are bookcases and our garage looks like a warehouse!

Rio (Lynne) Those poor books packed in boxes in the garage will probably never get touched.

Jemidar I got halfway through sorting them a couple of years ago but then had to pack them all up again because we had to move and haven't got back to them. I really have no idea what's out there anymore!

Rio (Lynne) You might have some duplicates. That will get the pile down.

Jemidar I'm pretty sure I will. I ended up with quite a few duplicates of some of Georgette Heyer's books, but I'm pleased to say I have them all now so at least I don't have to buy anymore of hers.

Rio (Lynne) She's an author I haven't read.

Jemidar My mother read her books and I'd read a few of them when I was a much much younger so a couple of years ago I thought I would try her again and so far I've enjoyed the ones I've read.

My mother and I are estranged now, but GH books (I used to buy a lot of them for her as presents when I was a teenager) are about the only thing we ever had in common and it's nice to keep that one link alive.

message 14: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Your book collection is mind-boggling!

My keepers are on a couple of shelves in my bedroom, and my to-be-reads are in my wardrobe, but as I'm a "buy it, read it soon after, then bag it up for charity" reader, I only ever have half a dozen or so of them at any one time. Occasionally, if I've have a TBR book in my wardrobe for six months, I generally know I'm not going to read it, so charity shop it.

Think we've found something our Twinnie thing has massively overlooked!

Jemidar Oh yeah, I think I'm probably entitled to hoarder status with my books! Although some of it is due to my illness. I used to love libraries but ever since I haven't been able to get out much I think my subconscious has tried to recreate one here. It's lovely being able to stand in front of my bookshelves and browse trying to decide what to read :-).

Mind you, if I was more like you I wouldn't have these chronic storage problems!

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim We have a wall of built-in bookshelves in the living room and two floor-to-ceiling built-in cupboards for books in our bedroom. All of these are pretty much full and each of us has a pile (or in my case piles) of books on the floor next to the bed. When we had the kitchen renovated we included a floor-to-ceiling bookcase for cookbooks. It's also full. I'm pretty sure that there are boxes of books in the attic, although it's just possible that they're gone. I know all about book hoarding!

message 17: by Jemidar (last edited Mar 24, 2012 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jemidar I would love built in floor to ceiling bookcases but haven't managed them yet. Most of our bookcases are 6 ft tall and at least 4ft wide. I just tell people they're good insulation. LOL.

Jemidar Hey Anna, I'm ready when you are :-).

message 19: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Me too. Rio, it's over to you to wave the start flag!

Rio (Lynne) OK guys. Let's start. Hope I can keep up with you two. Anna is a speed reader!

Jemidar Don't I know it!

message 22: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna LOL! You two go ahead. Friday's are my busiest day of the week, so I won't start it till Saturday now...but with my speed reading, I'll soon catch up ;-)

message 23: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Landry Crew scheduling nabbed me with a three day trip that is basically work, sleep, work, sleep. I'm gonna have to some serious reading to catch up with y'all.

message 24: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Hi Tom, nice to 'meet' you! The rest of us are chatting about Legacy over on Jemidar's review thread. If I knew how to link it from here I would, but as I don't, you can find the thread on my profile page in my updates :-)

We're all over page 100, some of us are around page 150. I'm sure we can wait for you to catch up, at least part way. Hope you're a fast reader though, it's a hard book to put down!!

Head on over to Jemidar's review thread to carry on chatting all things Elizabeth :-)

Rio (Lynne) Thanks Jemidar.

message 27: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Jemidar wrote: "Here's the link:"

Show-off ;-p

Jemidar If I'd wanted to show off I'd have done it this way :-).

message 29: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna *sticks tongue out*

Jemidar ;-D.

Rio (Lynne) I love "this way!"

Jemidar I'm about 30 pages from the end and will finish it tonight.