Sadie's Reviews > Sense and Sensibility

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

1420680
Aug 12, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: read-with-husband, books-i-own, classics, 3-stars, kindle-books-i-own
Read in September, 2008

I do wish I could give this 3 1/2 stars. I did enjoy the book, but it was a little slow at times for me. I also couldn't feel for the characters as much as I have been able to in Austen's other books. Overall, it was a good read and if you like Austen you will like this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sense and Sensibility.

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg I agree about the "not feeling as much for these characters" as other Austen heroines. I tried to read it, and stopped because I didn't quite care enough...

But THEN the movie came out (Emma Thompson did the screenplay--and got the Oscar for it, if I remember correctly). I LOVE the movie--excellent adaptation, and absolutely EXCEPTIONAL performances from both Thompson and Kate Winslet (as "Sense" and "Sensibility" respectively).

Then I tried to read the book again... and finished it in about 2 days, like most Austen reads. I cared because I finally saw them come to life. If you haven't seen the film yet, check it out... I can basically trace my obsession with Alan Rickman back to this film. Yes, he's always great in every movie he does, but this is the first time I realized he's actually quite... SEXY :)

Sadie I have seen the movie and LOVED it! I think that is what helped me get through the book.
1. I knew where the story was heading and how soon we would be coming to the exciting events
2. I had fallen in love with the characters because of the movie.

I think what made this book so different from Pride and Prejudice and even Emma was that we are told what is going on and what the characters feel almost as an outsider, where we hear what Darcy and Elizabeth feel and think. That made the biggest difference for me.

And as for Alan Rickman, they couldn't have picked a better Colonel Brandon! How could you not fall in love with him!?

message 3: by Meg (new)

Meg Yeah... I got so sad every time Alan Rickman left the story for a while. It kinda made me wish the title was "Colonel Brandon--And How Hot He Is."

GREAT observations about the book... The story with Eleanor and Marianne does seem a little... I don't know... almost OBJECTIVELY told, like from an outsider's perspective, as you said. And let's face it, when we womenfolk want to read romance, we want it SUBJECTIVE, SUBJECTIVE, SUBJECTIVE. HAHAHA

So tell me--have you read Emma? That's the only Jane Austen I've never read. I'm just wondering if it reads more like P&P or S&S...

Sadie I have read Emma, but it was a while ago. I did pick it up about a month ago while I was in between book club books so I only got a few chapters in. It does read more like Pride and Prejudice than Sense and Sensibility. Nothing in my mind compares to P&P, so I wouldn't say to expect the same from Emma. It is similiar in that you are more connected to her and the characters that surround her. I have seen the movie version with Gwenyth Paltrow and loved it. So I might be influenced the same way with Emma and I was with Sense and Sensibility. You should read it some time, if only to finish off the Austen books. Now that I've given it such a rousing review, I'm sure you'll run right out and buy it! :)