- ̗̀ whoreofbookboyfriends ̖́-'s Reviews > Crooked Kingdom

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

liked it
bookshelves: series, young-adult, lgbtq

3.5
I might get dragged for this to hell and back, but I didn’t like this as much as six of crows.
I’d like to start off by saying that the plot wasn’t as .. strong (?) as in Six of Crows, I mean I loved the plot of that one so much, I found myself wanting to read that book so much and that feeling just wasn’t here as much while reading this one.
The things I liked were obviously the characters and the world.
I really love the friendships, all of them, especially between Nina and Inej, it’s really amazing, they’re both strong women (like really strong, women that can kick ya butt) I think their friendship was really amazingly done and I could read more about it.

The relationships were probably my favorite aspects in this book.
Waylan and Jesper? Matthias and Nina?? Are you kidding me? They’re actually precious.
If you’ve been following my updates you probably know that I didn’t like Kaz. I know that people are actually in love with him and ready to take out your life if you don’t feel the same, but just know that this is my opinion, it’s totally okay, we’re all allowed to have opinions even if they’re wrong in your eyes.

With that out of the way, I’d like to say that I didn’t like him at all. I know that he isn’t technically their friend, he’s more like their boss. I just don’t know why I should love him. I feel like he didn’t give me anything in order for me to love him. A couple of years I probably would’ve loved him because he had a sad past, but honestly, which one of them didn’t? Every other character had a tragic, sad life. I just can’t love him, I don’t see a reason why I should.

I’m not gonna get more into it, I don’t wanna fight anyone over a character, we all have our opinions, it’s fine.
As I said, I did really enjoy the relationships that our characters had with one another, I do think it was real and unique and I could read more and more about them.
I really can’t get over the romantic relationships, either! Matthias and Nina are so amazing together, they’re so strong, Nina is so flirtatious and Matthias is just calm (except when he isn’t) they’re honestly super great together.
And so is Jesper and Waylan, I really can’t stop talking about them, I really fell in love with their relationship and after this, I’ll probably try to find something on wattpad. This is me, really. When something ends that I love, I try to find fanfics, many of you do it, k?? Don’t be mean!
Honestly, I’m not even gonna talk about the death in this book (I won’t say who died ‘cause of spoilerssss) because I’m not ready, I’m shattered, I’m dead inside.

But this is my review, not posting it on my website because it’s the second book in the series. I liked it, I just didn’t like Kaz, I know a lot of people love him, so feel free to end me, it’s fine

My October wrap-up http://whoreofbookboyfriends.com/2019...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crooked Kingdom.

October 1, 2019 – Started Reading
October 1, 2019 – Shelved
October 1, 2019 –
page 151
28.17% "I already know that I’m gonna have some unpopular opinions about a really loved character"
October 1, 2019 –
page 151
October 2, 2019 –
page 303
56.53% "i’m so sorry but i don’t like kaz."
October 2, 2019 –
page 332
61.94% "kaz is literally trying to be my least favorite character of all the freaking time."
October 3, 2019 – Finished Reading
October 8, 2019 – Shelved as: series
October 8, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 8, 2019 – Shelved as: lgbtq

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Jovana Autumn Great review! It's always a bit rocky when you love the book but dislike one of the aspects that majority adore and then to put it in a review and not offend anyone - it's a struggle :)

I agree, that the relationships were one of the best parts of the book (Wyland and Jesper are adorable. End of story; Nina and Inej are major friendship goals) and here is my unpopular opinion(for which I think 95% of the fandom would crucify me) I hate Matthias as a character, and when the thing happened (you know what thing, no spoilers for other ppl) I was like finally. And I do adore Nina as a character, she is one of my favorites in the entire Grishaverse and I want her to be happy...but ughhh. Everything about this book is great for me besides that one aspect. So yeah, people won't be ending you they will be busy finding nails for my crucifixion :"D

Also, if you want to see how the Nina thing will develop I suggest picking up King of Scars, she has a POV there. I remember I was very interested in that when the duology ended, either way, I rambled long enough, keep up with the reviews! :D

- ̗̀ whoreofbookboyfriends ̖́- Jovana wrote: "Great review! It's always a bit rocky when you love the book but dislike one of the aspects that majority adore and then to put it in a review and not offend anyone - it's a struggle :)

I agree, t..."

First of all, I got a comment and I was like ''okay, now they're gonna eat me alive for not liking Kaz'' but I was soooo pleasantly surprised! Thank you so much for your kind words, my reviews are complete garbage, I'm not an english native speaker, I just write whatever comes to my mind hoping I'm actually saying it correctly lol! Yes! Nina and Inej'f friendship is absolutely beautiful, we need more female friendships in our lives! I can actually see why people would dislike Matthias, even though I fell in love with him in this book (didn't really like him in six of crows) I can see how people wouldn't really like him.
Also, they're gonna hate me too! But it's fine, at least I'm not gonna be the only one hated, we're in this toooogetheeer!!!

Jovana Autumn - ̗̀ whoreofbookboyfriends ̖́- wrote: "Jovana wrote: "Great review! It's always a bit rocky when you love the book but dislike one of the aspects that majority adore and then to put it in a review and not offend anyone - it's a struggle..."

I get that, I'm also not a native English speaker it's hard sometimes to find the words and phrases that are in my mind, but hey at least I try! :D
Yup, we are in this shit together (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

*mk* I liked the first one much more, too! This one felt jumbled, and for me the character's relationships with each other were what made the book. Totally get this.

- ̗̀ whoreofbookboyfriends ̖́- *mk* wrote: "I liked the first one much more, too! This one felt jumbled, and for me the character's relationships with each other were what made the book. Totally get this."

Okay, this is good. I thought that I'd be the only one with these opinions. Totally agree with you, this one was a bit weaker than Six of Crows, that one was just magnificent, a favorite...this, not so much.