Nancy Baker's Reviews > Your Perfect Year

Your Perfect Year by Charlotte Lucas

F 50x66

liked it

First I'll start with why this wasn't my favorite book: Let's just say I'm not really into romance type stories. I'm not saying this was a sweet, kissy story because it wasn't, but I felt the climax of the story didn't ascent very high up the mountain. The outcome was predictable -- but anything less would have been a disappointment.

So here's the story line:
A young girl and the man she's in love with are on the verge of an engagement. He plans what appears to be a romantic dinner during which she thinks he will pop the question only to discover that he is going to stop seeing her. The break-up has nothing to do with another person, but a recent (and a surprise to her) health diagnosis of Leukemia in which he has been given less than a year to live. The girlfriend soon gives him a diary for the coming year on which she has given daily suggestions for things to enjoy (simple things), advice on searching for happiness, overcoming adversity, etc.

Parallel to this story is a young man who has inherited his father's publishing company (much to his misgivings). He has been divorced for 3 years, still harbors resentment and has become a bit of a recluse and ritual/habit forming individual. He rides his bike to the park (as he does everyday), locks it in the rack and goes for his normal long daily run. When he returns he finds a plastic bag hanging on his bike's handle bars and inside is a daily diary filled with daily suggestions for "A Perfect Year". Yep - has Hallmark movie written all over it.

Now I'll tell you what I liked about the book. I, too, have Leukemia. My diagnosis came nearly 4 years ago but at least is a slow growing kind of blood cancer - but an incurable cancer nonetheless. I have always been a positive person who looks for the good in the darkest of storms and so I have accepted my diagnosis with open arms. I absolutely LOVED the idea of a daily diary where you look for enjoyment in the smallest of things. I embraced the idea of looking to enrich your life with beauty and smiles and happiness. I'm enthusiastic about stepping outside one's comfort zone and exploring new things or rising above old fears.

I won't delve into the story -- the scenario is easy enough to figure out. Suffice it to say that the journey was a short yet enjoyable one. I AM happy to say that I'm glad I read this towards the end of a year. I look forward to purchasing myself a diary (or better still a 2020 journal) in which I can record the wonderful things I have discovered and/or explored. I don't want to actually plan out my year day by day -- that would take away the intrigue of looking for the daily treasure. But I do look forward to documenting my discoveries. Who knows -- perhaps I'll include some of my loved ones on the journey with me.

So I guess, all in all, I'm glad I read the story. It's probably not one that I would pick up and read again, but it DID give me inspiration and encouragement to enjoy each day we are given on this earth and for THAT I am deeply grateful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Perfect Year.

October 1, 2019 – Shelved
October 1, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 13, 2019 – Started Reading
October 16, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Thelma What a great comment, "the climax of the story didn't ascent very high up the mountain". I may have to steal that line, with your forbearance.