Carrie Ardoin's Reviews > Blood Song

Blood Song by Rhiannon Hart

it was ok
bookshelves: arc-tour, medieval-times, other-supes, what-a-letdown

Zeraphina is a princess in the poor country of Amentia. When her older sister gets a chance to go to the northern country of Pergamia to meet a suitor, Zeraphina is all too happy. Because for the past several years, she has been secretly craving blood. And the hunger for blood is calling her northward...

When Zeraphina arrives in Amentia, she discovers her cravings are stronger than ever. She meets a royal advisor who is arrogant, but just may hold the answers to who she really is and why she lusts for blood. But she will have to be strong if she wants to get the answers from him, because he does not want to divulge what he knows.

Oooook. First, let me say that even though this book was slightly less than 300 pages, it still took me a few days to read it. Even when I knew I only had 40 pages left, I procrastinated on Pinterest rather than finishing this book. By contrast, Beautiful Creatures is more than twice that many pages and I read it in less than a day. That's how bored I was by the plot of this book.

Zeraphina is your typical headstrong, independent heroine. She doesn't exactly fall into instalove when she meets Rodden (in fact, they constantly fight) but you can easily tell that's where it's headed. Just a side note--are there any girls who like to be girly in books anymore? Can I tell you if I were a princess and got to wear awesome dresses everyday, I would be eating that shhh up.

Moving on. The mystery of just WHY Zeraphina craves blood doesn't even get solved until the last 5 pages. And ALL of the action happens within the last 20 pages. It's just the getting there that's so hard.

I dug that she had two awesome pets, an eagle and a cat. But that might have been all I liked about her. Yes, I understand that she is 16, but Zeraphina is very wishy washy. She did not want Rodden to pay attention to her, but got mad when he took a liking to her pets instead of her. Contradictions like this happen all throughout the book.

The author did a great job at world building, and I really loved the land of Lharmellin and its' creepy inhabitants. They were definitely something original. But this was not enough to keep me interested in reading the rest of the series. Many things were missing for me, and I just wished this story had more...something.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Song.

March 23, 2012 – Started Reading