Lauren's Reviews > The Perfect World of Miwako Sumida

The Perfect World of Miwako Sumida by Clarissa Goenawan

Clarissa Goenawan's follow-up to "Rainbirds" is somewhat of a departure from it. While it maintains the well executed mix between mystery and magical realism, it also feels even more complete than its predecessor. There is a mystery regarding the circumstances around yet another untimely death of a young woman. Along the way of the mystery being solved by way of undoing layers from the past and the present, there is also unusual occurrences going around the characters - some of which are explained in time, while others are left vague.

I like how the book is told from the perspective of three people who were close with Miwako. It makes the novel more multi-dimensional and, in many cases, feel like I'm reading three stories in one. There was one perspective that I didn't really care for though, and thought it could have been better developed had the character been more embedded in the overall story.

A part of me also wishes that the circumstances surrounding the reasoning behind Miwako taking her own life was also left vague. The reason: I didn't like the backstory on it. Obviously, I won't get into it, but I will give a trigger warning for those who can't handle content surrounding suicide, rape, and toxic family relationships.

Otherwise, I'd say this was a strong sophomore novel from Goenawan. Her writing continues to captivate me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect World of Miwako Sumida.

September 30, 2019 – Shelved