Gavin's Reviews > Raventide

Raventide by T.A. Miles

Having read the wonderful Blood Lilies, I decided to check out T. A. Miles first book Raventied and I am very glad I did.

The story of Raventied follows Drayden Torvannes, a historic investigator who is hired by the wealthy Elarien Fannael to discover the origin of a mysterious ring that haunts his dreams, the truth behind his family, which Elarien believes will identify the supposed illness that plagues him. What follows is a wonderful gothic mystery, featuring elements of adventure, mythology and an emotional gay romance.

Drayden and Elarien made for great protagonists, with both characters being fleshed out, made vivid, and felt alive on the page. It was great to watch the bond between them grow from acquaintances, to friends and finally something more. The supporting cast was also very strong, and not just an element to help advance the story. I would have liked to have delved a bit deeper in to the agonists, but even so, there is no character who feels like they get less time and attention then they deserve.

The story is engrossing, and intelligent, with twists and characters that kept me guessing until its satisfying conclusion. It's hard to deny, however, that much of the first half of the story is rather slow in pace. On one hand, this helps to build, and flesh out the characters and deepen the plot. On the other hand, there are times in which I could not help but to think that the characters were simply running around in circles with scenes that added little to what we already know. Once in to the latter half of the book has a much finer and exciting pace and the mystery begins to close, but if I'm honest, the revelations and advancements in character felt a little swift at times. I would have actually liked it if more time and exploration of the characters had been given to the latter part of the story, instead of the build-up. The most obvious element in this case was the romance, which, while hinted at throughout the story, I would have liked to blossom a little earlier than it did just, so it could be explored a little more. Despite this slight criticism, the romance is well written and works well emotionally.

The world of Raventied is well crafted and beautifully described fantasy world. The author has a wonderful way of writing, which is far more professional and imaginative then many top-selling authors.

It's a shame that this is just a stand-alone novel. I would love to have found out more about the world, its characters and its mythology. Nonetheless, this is a wonderful, well written gothic story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raventide.

Quotes Gavin Liked

T.A. Miles
“His father was an ass and he is an ass. I imagine sooner than I should like I shall be playing uncle to a litter of asses.”
T. A. Miles, Raventide

T.A. Miles
“Anisette! You will eat your food, not demonstrate aerial warfare across the table with it.”
T. A. Miles, Raventide