Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog's Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Five big, enormous, gargantuan, gigantic, huge, mammoth, massive Stars!

I got schooled this year
a
Boy.

a boy that I'm seriously,
deeply, madly, incredibly,
and undeniably
in love
with.
And he taught me the most
important thing of all...
To put the emphasis
On life.

This book was pure brilliance. Shortly after the death of her father, Layken, her mother, & younger brother, Ky, moved from Texas to Michigan to start a new life. There she meets her neighbor, Will. Will is no stranger to love & loss. He lost his parents when he was only 19 years old and now is caring for his little brother, Caulder. Will & Layken almost immediately are drawn to one another. Their first date involved attending Club N9NE, which on Thursdays close for slam poetry. They have the perfect first date. However, just when Layken & Will were forming a relationship...slam! A serious roadblock emerges and the two cannot move forward in their relationship. Both struggle immensely with keeping their feelings in check, but they cope with it the best they can for the sake of both their little brothers, who are now BFFs. Just as Layken was starting to pick up the pieces...slam! Layken is hit with some devastating news about her mother. She just cannot catch a break.

I simply loved Will & Layken's relationship. They are so similar in so many ways, that you were hoping and praying that they were going to find a way to be together. The use of slam poetry in this book was utter genius. I've never read anything like it before and I effin LOVED it. Some of the pieces written, like the one above, stirred so many emotions in me. I was blown away. Wow.

I feel extremely fortunate to have come across this gem. After reading a strong recommendation from a book blogger, I was compelled to read this immediately. Thank God I did. Excellent, excellent, excellent. Highly recommend :)

-----
 photo Banner2_zps7a6c719e.jpg
Blog: www.sweetspotbookblog.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/SweetSpotBookBlog
Twitter:@thessamari

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

Quotes Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Liked

Colleen Hoover
“I got schooled this year
a
boy

A boy that I'm seriously, deeply, madly, incredibly, and undeniably in love with.
And he taught me the most important thing of all...

To put the emphasis
On life .”
Colleen Hoover, Slammed

03/23
22.0% "Excellent so far, but holy heck! What just happened? Can u say, awkward?"
04/23 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-17)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Maria I will have to read this next, look at you finding all these Awesome Books!!

Linda Wow! I'll have to put this one on my to read list.

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Gals...you will LOVE it. The poetry in the story is so original and so consuming, it was fantastic. Maria, I hope this streak of good books never end. lol. Hope you gals enjoy :)

message 14: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Hoover Just wanted to pop in and tell you thank you for this review. I've read it a million times! ;)

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Colleen wrote: "Just wanted to pop in and tell you thank you for this review. I've read it a million times! ;)"

OMG, you're so welcome. Glad you liked my review :) I effin LOVED this story! The slam poetry was simply awesome. It makes me want to look for a place to observe them live. =)

message 12: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Hoover Oh you should! I actually had never seen it live until AFTER I wrote and published my book. I went with some friends to the Women of the World Poetry Slam competition qualifier in Dallas and it was, as Lake would say, "unbelievable."

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Colleen wrote: "Oh you should! I actually had never seen it live until AFTER I wrote and published my book. I went with some friends to the Women of the World Poetry Slam competition qualifier in Dallas and it wa..."

Wow Colleen! Who knew there would be tons of places nearby for slamming? Lots of choices, lots of choices. Its awesome! :) I so want to go. Now, I just have to convince my hubbs to take me :)

message 10: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Hoover Tessamari, did you see the video the slam poet did for me? Maryse had it on her blog, but wasn't sure if you have been to my website. He is a slam poet that I love watching on youtube and my bff surprised me and sent him one of my poems to read on video. Here's the link:

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Colleen wrote: "Tessamari, did you see the video the slam poet did for me? Maryse had it on her blog, but wasn't sure if you have been to my website. He is a slam poet that I love watching on youtube and my bff ..."

Oh. My. God. That was bloody brilliant! And he read one of my favorite poems from your book too! OMG I was tearing up, seriously. The moment Will said I'll take the Lake, I was floored!! That was awesome your of BFF to have that done for you. Thank you so much for sharing. Yea. I'll be watching that again. That just made my day :)

message 8: by Colleen (new) - added it

Colleen Hoover :)

Ava Brightly ☕ after that review, i have to put it on my list, too. :)

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R I LURVED THIS SERIES!! Nice to know outta us gals you read it also! I can't get anyone on my choo-choo train to hop on and read it. LOL!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog One of my all-time favorite series! Are you telling me that only me and you read this treasure? The horror! lol.

Ellen W-S I am 40% in this and you are so right, it is a treasure. I am not going to speed through this book but am going to savor this story!

Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog Ellen W-S wrote: "I am 40% in this and you are so right, it is a treasure. I am not going to speed through this book but am going to savor this story!"

YAY!!!!! So freaking happy your enjoying this story. It's so good. My favorite is the slam poetry. Gahh!! Effin LOVE this!

Ellen W-S Holy crap! Just finished with tears streaming down my face. One of the top books of the year for me. This and On the Island are on that list. Wow what a read!