Ian Massey's Reviews > Turning the Tide on Plastic: How Humanity (And You) Can Make Our Globe Clean Again

Turning the Tide on Plastic by Lucy Siegle

19001240

It probably seems churlish to not give this book, a book whose sole aim is to help save the planet, a five star review. The problem, for me anyway, was that , while it presented a fair few good ideas, I already knew a lot of what it said (and I'm not even that much of a committed plastic reducer).

Lucy Siegle does give us a book that is written lightly in style - almost conversationally - which makes it an easy and engaging read. It is part science text, part history lesson and, in places, almost autobiographical, and it is replete with fascinating facts, both useful and downright weird. I, for one, didn't know that the original purpose of bubble-wrap was as a wallpaper... Can you imagine how much that would have increased plastic waste (and time spent decorating) as families went round popping the little bubbles??!!

There are also a lot of ideas on how to reduce your plastic intake. Which is all well and good if you are of the mindset to do so (I am), but not if you are part of a family who think branded personal care products are the only things they should use (I also am...) That's not to say it's useless - I took a lot away from the book and will, hopefully, change some of my practices. And the whole point is that, while it will take a "sea change" (excuse the pun), individuals can make a difference with their small actions.

I'm not sure the sections on campaigning will end up being much use to me and some details are already out of date, unsurprisingly for a book that is somewhere between a year and two years old. But it does make you think. I'm not sure, however, that I, as a two-flight-a-year person (with the odd exception) like to be told that I shouldn't be flying. That is one individual action too far for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turning the Tide on Plastic.

September 30, 2019 – Shelved