Josiah's Reviews > John Carter of Mars

John Carter of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Mar 23, 2012

This was an excellent read. It was very enjoyable to follow the adventure of the unstoppable John Carter. It is not very often anymore that we get to hear stories of the hero who cannot be bested. In more recent decades we seem to look more towards the little guy who does great things, which is great in its own way. Maybe we like to be able to relate as little people who can accomplish things despite that. I prefer, however, the epic warrior hero who is more than enough to take on any challenge that arises, and in these three novels they do arise. It was like an early 20th century tale of a gallant knight fighting back innumerable foes to rescue his princess. It also reminded me of ancient Greek lore as well, with great heroes, warriors who were the greatest of their nation, working together and fighting for what is right. I thoroughly enjoyed the read and would recommend it to anyone, although my particular edition had slightly graphic illustrations by Thomas Yeates that could ruin the book for some.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read John Carter of Mars.

March 23, 2012 – Started Reading