C.G. Drews's Reviews > 10 Blind Dates

10 Blind Dates by Ashley Elston

bookshelves: contemporary, young-adult, read-2019

This is just such a delightful Christmassy romcom! Look sometimes you get a cupcake and you just want to devour the whipped cream sugary goodness by itself and that's what this is 😌it's sweet and has a lot of wild and fun blind dates happening (hey with a few deeper things happening in the background) and it features BIG ITALIAN FAMILIES and oblivious crushes and so much food you will, quite literally, need a snack break. Can someone pls bake for me now??? I am hungry. Reading is hard work, I need cinnamon scrolls.

blind date tiiiiime
Sophie overhears her boyfriend say being with her is "boring" which is just a delightful way to start her christmas break. She takes off to her Big Family Christmas and her nona strikes on the genius idea to have family members set her up with 10 blind dates. Look this is an excellent trope and I 10000% think Netflix needs to pick this up. It's full of quirky funny wildness, with dates at a live Nativity play and a puppy iceskating rink and Game of Thrones themed bowling. Sophie kind of dreads the whole thing buuuut sometimes has fun. I decided after about 2 pages that her (ex)boyfriend Griffin needed to fall into a hole and wE WILL DIE FOR WES, aka a childhood best friend she "totally" does "not" "like" in "that way".

sweet summer child

big families ftw
Look there are precious few big-family centric books and this is fills a hole in my life. Sophie's grandma has like 8 kids and they all congregate for a family Christmas...so there are a billion cousins and uncles and weird aunts and eviller cousins and it's !!!! so chaotic and cheerful and fun!!! Sophie also has this super tight relationship with her older sister (who isn't there and is pregnant) and they text and it's just so fun and natural?! Look, I have a ton of siblings. A pile of niblings. This book just GOT it and I loved the banter and the flow.

I wish I'd had more context for the Foursome: Sophie and her two cousins Olivia and Charlie, and their best friend from next door Wes. They've kind of all drifted apart but I didn't really understand why and I loooooved them. They were just FUN and I love epic family-centric squads. Charlie was such a dork and Olivia was super hyper and Wes was Soft. This lot though.

christmas all round
dude, I read precious little christmas books so this was just FUN. It wasn't a super cold christmas either, which was good because I am an Aussie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And I loved the mix of big-family christmas traditions + going on these weird blind dates + in the background Sophie's worried about her sister.

if you're looking for holiday wholesomeness -- here it is for you
I just had so much fun reading this! It could've gone a bit deeper with some of the relationships, but it was an engaging and epic read, and I totally love love big family stories so SOLID WIN for me there. It leaves you with a sticky chocolatey minty Christmas hug, reminding you that relationships are important and don't let them slip away. 😘

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 10 Blind Dates.

September 30, 2019 – Started Reading
September 30, 2019 – Shelved
September 30, 2019 –
page 150
44.64% "aw this would make an excellent romcom movie :')

[whispers loudly] hEY NETFLIX..."
October 1, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary