Lacer's Reviews > The Institute

The Institute by Stephen King

U 50x66

For a large chunk of the book, The Institute is very much a split personality book. It starts with Tim, a disgraced ex cop who decides to hitchhike up through the United States, to New York but gets stuck in a small southern town with the job of night knocker. I loved this part of the book, as I love stuff set in slow Southern towns, where everyone is so laid back they’re almost asleep but there’s mayhem lurking just under the surface. And then the book switches to a boy in Minneapolis, and it’s all amount whether he can go to university (he’s 12 but very bright), and his habit of psychically knocking off empty pizza pans, and I’m all like “I want my disgraced Southern ex-cop!”. The boy gets kidnapped and wakes up in a mysterious institute, where he discovers that a secretive organisation is doing something very nasty to children with psychic powers. This goes on for a long time, me still missing my Southern ex-cop, but that part of the story did start to grow on me. Eventually genius psychic boy and Southern ex-cop meet up, and well stuff happens.

I really liked how Stephen King handles the bad guys in this one, they are a little stereotyped but they’re amusingly a little incompetent and I liked how King went into why they were letting things slip. I also really liked all the characters in the small Southern town, particularly how they all reacted to a certain key scene (trying not to give spoilers).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Institute.

September 29, 2019 – Started Reading