Amy's Reviews > Ruin

Ruin by Laurelin Paige

Laurelin Paige heats up the romance between Edward Fasbender and Celia Werner in this second installment of her Slay Quartet, and it is DELICIOUS.

Edward and Celia dance around each other, their lust and arousal palpable. He wants her, yes, but he’s also starting to like her, something that clearly shocks and unnerves him. Laurelin Paige begins this book in Edgar’s POV and occasionally dips back into that intriguing pool, although most of the story belongs to Celia. Her husband unsettles her. Just when she thinks she has the upper hand, Edward knocks her back, showing her how in control he truly is.

There are several scenes that not only made me feel for Celia, they made me weep for her as well. Edward gives her the physical intimacy she wants and even seems to open himself emotionally, only to reveal his end game. Celia thinks she has what she wants, and then he reminds her that none of this is about what she wants: it’s all about what he wants.

And yet Edward helps Celia. He unravels her carefully woven façade, not so much to help her rediscover herself but more for her to learn who she really is. Yes, sometimes his means seem somewhat cruel, but his ends are–dare I say–honorable.

The sexy times are exactly as you hope. Edward enjoys sex, of course, but it’s also a tool of sorts in his arsenal. He uses it to bring Celia closer to him, and he uses it to show her how he feels. Watching those feelings evolve over this book, in fact, are one of the things I enjoyed most.

You get some answers in Ruin. You learn why he has targeted Celia, and you learn how he will react when he finds out who owns those shares of the Werner business. You also learn more about his sister and even Edward himself.

I am in deep with this series. I never thought I’d care for Celia, but I do! I never thought she would make me cry for her, but she does! And I certainly never thought I would root for her, but I am!

I can’t wait for Book 3. I want–I need–to know what happens next between Edward and Celia. I haven’t had enough of either of them.

BlogFacebookTwitterInstagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruin.

Started Reading
September 29, 2019 – Shelved
September 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Davis Thank you for this review! I'm counting down until release day!

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Ann wrote: "Thank you for this review! I'm counting down until release day!"

Oh, my gosh, it's so good. I'm still trying to process that Laurelin Paige made me weep for Celia.