Michelle Griep's Reviews > Circe

Circe by Madeline Miller

I read this book with a handicap. . .I've never really been big into Titans, Olympians, Greek gods of any sort. Surprisingly, by the time I turned the last page, I had a new understanding of them, and it was relatively painless. Imagine that. Here are some insights:

Telemachus was my favorite. He knew who he was, what he wanted, and he humbly yet firmly defended his stance on that. Plus I felt a bit sorry for him for having such jerky parents.

I loved to hate Helios. What a butt. A father should be protective of his child, not of himself. Obviously he loved himself above all others. Yet he did have a good work ethic, shining every day, regardless. And he did come when Circe called him, so there's that.

What interested me most, though, weren't any of the characters. The flowers Circe uses to reveal someone’s true self are just like adversities in real life—it is tragedy and crisis that exposes our true inner selves. And if any of us had the chance to eat these flowers, to see what we are truly like on the inside, would we be brave enough to find out? Would we really want to know?

Circe is an interesting read, not particularly compelling, but one that I'd recommend to lovers of mythology because it does a great job of painting a picture behind the scenes of the traditional stories. I'd also recommend it to women because it is heavily focused on relationship issues and discovering who you are-themes that are usually more of an interest to females.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Circe.

September 29, 2019 – Started Reading