M.H. Thaung's Reviews > The Blackbird and the Ghost

The Blackbird and the Ghost by Hûw Steer

This is a short fantasy book with steampunk elements. The story follows a quest embarked upon by the curious (in all senses) and roguish Tal. He's after an item that he believes will help someone close to him, and he's prepared to go to great lengths to get it.

I loved the descriptions of this intriguing world. There's magic, but it doesn't drown out the characters, and the worldbuilding felt consistent and plausible. It's clear that more adventures are planned.

The plot was straightforward and easy to follow. For my tastes, it was a bit *too* straightforward a progression. Tal's one specific enemy was clearly the bad guy (from Tal's perspective, of course). Pretty much everyone else was helpful, friendly and supportive to Tal on his quest—no double-crossing or back-stabbing, or even different priorities—which to my mind removed tension that could have made this book a real page-turner.

Towards the end of the book, I got an impression that the writing was rushed—there was a tendency towards "explaininess" I hadn't noticed in earlier chapters, plus a few typos. (Specifically, at least 3 references to the female character Max as "he/him" which had me scratching my head).

Overall, a fun light read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blackbird and the Ghost.

Started Reading