Angela's Reviews > Women Sex and Church

Women Sex and Church by Erika Bachiochi

442036

liked it
bookshelves: religion

I found this entire collection to be more "this is what radical feminists believe" more than the actual Catholic teachings.

I understand the format: Each essay begins with the apparent worldview on each topic, from reproductive issues (i.e., contraceptives and fertility) to the work/home balance. I learned a lot about radical feminists, but I don't think those views are anything near what your average woman/feminist actually believes. I found them to be presented more for the shock value than an actual basis for comparison.

The most informative essay was the one on fertility, which offered natural, Church-okay'ed methods to infertility treatments. The author herself went through it, and you can tell that she knows her stuff. The rest of the essays read like dissertations, which isn't inherently bad, but not exactly what I came here for.

But, it does challenge the core of modern-day feminism. It discusses the harmful effects of the sexual revolution a lot, even in those sections that aren't outwardly about sexuality. Because at its root, this "freedom" has caused more problems than solutions, and that affects nearly every facet of today's society.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Women Sex and Church.

September 28, 2019 – Started Reading