Lindsey's Reviews > After the Apocalypse

After the Apocalypse by Maureen F. McHugh

Mar 23, 2012

bookshelves: short-stories, award-winners, fantasy-sci-fi, ya-short-stories
Read from May 10 to 20, 2012

I was reading this on the plane and the man next to me asked if the stories relate to one theme. I said, "No". I was only on the second short story. The first story was about a zombie reserve for criminals and the second was about a Chinese girl trying to make a living after a bird flu ravaged the country. Of course after having read all of the stories now, I wish I could find that man and say, "yeah, I'm a dummy. there is a theme." So here it is stranger on the plane: A collection of short stories all showing life in a variety of different end-of-the-world scenarios. Some of them, I wouldn't even say are "end-of-the-world," but a change that may feel like the world as they know it, is ending. My favorite story was the last, "After the Apocalypse." That story had me on edge and the ending just about broke my heart. I loved it. If you want to know more about it, get the book and read it yourself. All of the stories were fantastic. I'm already enjoying Maureen McHugh's other short story collection, Mothers & Other Monsters: Stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Apocalypse.