Sherwood Smith's Reviews > Bright Shards

Bright Shards by Meg Pechenick

162084

bookshelves: sf, space-opera
Read 2 times

I devoured this second installment in the Vardeshi Saga--and am left hoping very strongly that there will be a third. And a fourth, and so on. There are so many tantalizing questions!

This second volume (which should not be read before the first) concerns Avery Alcott's further adventures with the beautiful, enigmatic, and complex Vardeshi, once certain events were resolved in the first book. She has a choice whether to be escorted on to Vardeshi Prime via a VIP ship, or to continue with the smaller Fleet vessel, and the same crew, with whom she established relations in the first book.

There are consequences to either choice--which is one of the strengths of this series, how all actions and decisions have consequences. The focus in this second book is tighter on Avery and certain among the crew, in particular the three brothers she got to know in the first book.

In this one she gets to know them a whole lot better.

The action again becomes quite fast-paced, with unexpected twists and turns. There is a strong romantic thread in this second volume, beautifully realized as characters gain depth, both male and female. We learn more about the Listening, and there are other glimpses inside the Vardeshi, as the tenuous alliance with humanity is tested by circumstances.

So many scenes of luminous beauty, and appreciation for music and what it means to us. There is also a glimpse of the dark side, opening up yet more intriguing questions.

Margaret Pechenick joins my list of buy-on-sight indie authors. So very glad to have made this discovery--I am left so thankful that indie voices can be heard in today's publishing climate, the downside being, that unless you're wealthy enough to buy a ton of publicity, they depend on word of mouth to find their audience.

So here I am, trying to spread the word.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Shards.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading
September 26, 2019 – Shelved
September 26, 2019 – Shelved as: sf
September 26, 2019 – Shelved as: space-opera

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Francesca (new) - added it

Francesca Forrest I appreciate your doing it, and I think it does make a difference--I've definitely read things thanks to your reviews that I would never have discovered otherwise.

message 2: by Sherwood (new) - added it