Michael's Reviews > Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, & Advice for Living Your Best Life

Dear Girls by Ali Wong

bookshelves: non-fiction

I received an arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I'm always wary of books written by stand-up comics, as I would say 90 to 95% of the ones I've read since the 90s have been dreadfully boring. Most struggle to bring out the same voice and humor as they do on stage.

I have to say I am surprised at how well Ali Wong does this in the book. She brings the same unfiltered humor here almost perfectly. Don't expect her stand-up routine pacing for the book (which is the trap many fall in to when writing), but instead you find more detailed stories delivered. It's a book in which everything is written for her girls to read when they get older, but it works just as well for the reader.

The biggest drawback to my reading experience, was after awhile some of the usually funny descriptions she gives felt a bit overdone. This is most likely from me trying to read the entire book in one sitting, which unlike her stand-up, takes a bit longer than the normal 45 minutes to an hour. So I definitely recommend spacing this book out over a few sessions to not suffer from burnout.

Overall Ali Wong nails a book that many comics before her have failed. You'll learn about some things she never touched upon in her stand-up, and get an even better idea of how she was shaped as a person, and how it created her brand of comedy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Girls.

September 26, 2019 – Started Reading