megs_bookrack's Reviews > Burn Our Bodies Down

Burn Our Bodies Down by Rory Power

bookshelves: arcs-read, 2021-mt-tbr-challenge

**3.5-stars rounded up**

I feel like one of the few people left in the YA book world who hasn't read Wilder Girls yet.

I own it, of course. I mean, have you seen the cover!? I have added it to many TBRs since its release, but still haven't picked it up.

When I received an early copy of Rory Power's sophomore novel, Burn Our Bodies Down, I was shocked and elated.

I couldn't wait to pick it up and then, I just didn't. Long story short, I am a horrible reviewer, but if you read my reviews, you probably know that already.

I finally decided to give this one a shot over my week-long Christmas vacation. I am kicking myself now because I really enjoyed it. Why didn't I pick it up months ago!?

Burn Our Bodies Down is equal parts weird, disturbing, suspenseful and heartbreaking; some of my favorite characteristics to find in a book.

The story follows, Margot, a teen who has been dealing with her mother's instability her entire life. She knows of no other family and any time she presses for info about their past, or where she came from, her mother loses it.

Their relationship has always been contentious. Margot has never felt wanted, or loved, and lives her life walking on eggshells.

Just as Margot gets to the end of her rope, she discovers a clue. The only hint she has ever had in regards to her mother's early life.

It's a photograph, tucked into a family bible, signed by who she believes is her grandmother. In addition to a phone number, the photo also indicates a town name: Phalene.

She's shocked. Phalene isn't even that far away. She decides to go there, find her grandmother and finally get some answers.

Arriving in town, Margot meets a couple of local teens she tries to needle information out of. While she is with them, they receive news of a fire on her grandmother's farm.

The kids rush to check out the scene and end up finding the fields in flames and a body.

Upon further inspection, they discover the body is a girl, about their age and she looks exactly like Margot.

Thus begins the head-scratching drama that surrounds Margot's family's farm.

I can't even begin to tell you how confused and intrigued I was by what was going on in Phalene.

She meets her Grandmother, Vera, and stays with her, but continues to be brushed off when she tries to get definitive answers about her mother's childhood, or where she came from.

Margot learns many things in her first few days in Phalene, including the existence of family members she never knew about, including her mother's twin sister, Katherine. During her investigation, she also ends up making a couple of friends along the way.

There is a dark feeling of unease that spans this entire novel.

You know, deep in your heart, that something is very wrong in Phalene and Margot's family is at the heart of it, but what!?

I would classify this as a (view spoiler) Horror Novel, a genre I have been enjoying quite a bit lately.

I personally loved Power's writing style, although I did think some of Margot's musings eventually bordered on repetitive. With this being said, Power's ability to write body horror is top-notch; that cannot be denied.

I would recommend this one to Horror readers, particularly if you read and enjoyed Silvia Moreno-Garcia's, Mexian Gothic. I would say the two stories channel a lot of similar vibes.

Thank you so much to the publisher, Delacorte Press, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review. I appreciate the opportunity to provide my opinion and will definitely be picking up Wilder Girls now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn Our Bodies Down.

September 26, 2019 – Shelved
September 26, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 4, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
December 23, 2020 – Started Reading
December 23, 2020 –
18.0% "It's funny, I had convinced myself this book was set in Maine, but I think it is actually in Nebraska. I guess the corn stalks on the cover should have made that obvious. Doh."
December 24, 2020 –
December 25, 2020 –
December 27, 2020 –
80.0% "WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING!?

"
December 28, 2020 – Shelved as: arcs-read
December 28, 2020 – Shelved as: 2021-mt-tbr-challenge
December 28, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Ajay (new)

Ajay Dutt Tiwari Alexa bliss gif 😂

megs_bookrack Ajay wrote: "Alexa bliss gif 😂" Getting ready to put a SmackDown.... :)

Catherine It's not too early, no. I loved Wilder Girls so much and I would trade... well, crap. I don't have anything to trade for this book.

megs_bookrack Catherine wrote: "It's not too early, no. I loved Wilder Girls so much and I would trade... well, crap. I don't have anything to trade for this book." Hahaha, I love you! I haven't even read Wilder Girls yet and I preordered it!

Catherine megs_bookrack wrote: "Catherine wrote: "It's not too early, no. I loved Wilder Girls so much and I would trade... well, crap. I don't have anything to trade for this book." Hahaha, I love you! I haven't even read Wilder..."

You seem like a very reasonable person from my perspective, and everyone knows I am, myself, a very good judge of character, since I'm totally unbiased when it comes to books.

megs_bookrack Catherine wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Catherine wrote: "It's not too early, no. I loved Wilder Girls so much and I would trade... well, crap. I don't have anything to trade for this book." Hahaha, I love you! I ha..." Absolutely! :)

Jen (LOHF/Book Den) I'm looking forward to finally reading this. I loved Wilder Girls.

megs_bookrack Jen (LOHF/Book Den) wrote: "I'm looking forward to finally reading this. I loved Wilder Girls."
I hope you enjoy it, Jen! I really did, but can see how it won't be for everyone. It is definitely a slow burn, but unique and the body horror is fantastic. I have heard that about Wilder Girls; that it has great body horror and I am excited to pick that one up now!

Jen (LOHF/Book Den) megs_bookrack wrote: "Jen (LOHF/Book Den) wrote: "I'm looking forward to finally reading this. I loved Wilder Girls."

I'm glad to hear there is more body horror in this one. The body horror is great in Wilder Girls.

megs_bookrack Jen (LOHF/Book Den) wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Jen (LOHF/Book Den) wrote: "I'm looking forward to finally reading this. I loved Wilder Girls."

message 11: by Jen (LOHF/Book Den) (last edited Dec 29, 2020 05:59PM) (new) - added it

Jen (LOHF/Book Den) megs_bookrack wrote: "I have a feeling, just from reading reviews, that there is a lot more present in Wilder Girls, but if you don't mind a slow burn, it's still really well done here." I don't mind a slow burn at all if I'm enjoying the writing. I'm excited to read it soon.

message 12: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Terrific review Megs! :) x

megs_bookrack Aisling Zena wrote: "Terrific review Megs! :) x"
Thank you, Aisling! This was such an odd book, I'm not sure my review quite does that aspect justice! xx