Anthony's Reviews > The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion

The Plot by Will Eisner

Aug 11, 2008

I wasn't really sure what Eisner was going to do with this Graphic Novel. From the back cover, it sounded like he was creating a comic book about The Protocols of the Elders of Zion in order to show everyone how stupid it was, but he was still going to just present the text. In reality, Eisner did so much more. He took apart the history of the book's creation and explained how the text itself was lifted from a 19th century French revolutionary book about Napoleon III. Almost word for word. The book was then used as a tool to remove affluent Jews from high society, usually by directing the government or the will of the people as a sharp tool.

The afterwords is pretty disheartening. After WWII, the Protocols were assumed to be a flim-flam job, and most self-respecting Western Europeans gave the Protocols little credence. However, with the fall of the Soviet Union, the Protocols are now finding fertile ground in Eastern Europe. They are also being printed all over the Middle East and Asian, of course being presented as factual. Still, this book represents Eisner's magnum opus, and I'm sure that he was proud of his accomplishment.

I'm not sure if I enjoyed reading this book, the concept and ramifications make it quite sad. But it certainly was interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Plot.