Cheri Champagne's Reviews > The Nursery

The Nursery by Asia Mackay

liked it

I didn't find this one as great as the first, but I still enjoyed it. The ending was disappointing (not just the cliffhanger); the "big reveal" was anticlimactic and there was no suspense. I found that it read more like a cozy, rather than something heart-pounding. Additionally, I could see the ending coming from the third chapter, which dulled the anticipation of the reveal quite a lot.

After reading the first novel, there was too much repetition at the beginning of this one; I wish that there'd been more creativity in how the info was retold (perhaps in dialogue, for example).

I also found the relationship stuff for Lex to be a bit depressing. The excuse that she gave for not talking to her husband was awfully weak. Maybe if we'd seen her husband talk about the dangers of another job within her hearing, and his expressing being grateful that his wife doesn't do anything so dangerous? Not sure, but maybe that would have upped the tension a bit.

I'll read the next one if it's ever written, just because I want to find out what happens after the cliffhanger. This one, though, was not the greatest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nursery.

September 25, 2019 – Shelved