Pat Patterson's Reviews > Operation Flash, Episode 2: Hinges Of Fate

Operation Flash, Episode 2 by Nitay Arbel

Read 2 times. Last read September 25, 2019 to September 26, 2019.

I obtained this book through the Kindle Unlimited program.

When the series was introduced, it immediately was placed into my "Guilty Pleasures" category. A book in that category gets read, IMMEDIATELY, regardless of what else I've had in the queue ahead of it, and also regardless of whether or not I'm being at all diligent in in reviewing the books I have actually read.
I don't like talking about the fact that I have a Guilty Pleasure category. In fact, I plan to deny having such a category in all future conversations. Here's the take-away: I absolutely LOVE this series.

Just in case you missed my review of the first book, here's the basic idea: one of the very many plots against Hitler actually succeeded. There were so many plots, some of them quite sophisticated, that the combined failure of ALL of them makes for a pretty good argument in favor of time travel, or maybe a pact with a evil weevil. How in the heck did he keep getting away?

We have multiple story lines running: in England, Churchill got lucky, and wound up with a native speaker of German as one of his clerical people. Very, very important, because it's really hard to know what's going on, what with the standard war confusion, and the propaganda machine.
In Germany, there are those who are strong supporters of the goals of the Reich, although they are anything but unified. With the death of Hitler, there is a battle for control of the Nazi party.
Also in Germany, there are those who do NOT support the Reich, but may have (at one time) fallen for Hitler's charisma, but are now disaffected. In addition, there are some who actively oppose the Reich.
These latter two factions lead to a division into two primary political entities.
That doesn't mean the war is over, though, not by ANY stretch of the imagination!
And it does mean that the Allies are thrown into confusion that nearly matches that of the German leadership. Nobody is certain who they can trust, and how far.
This is not a criticism, not a criticism, not a criticism! The books end too soon.
That is SIGNIFICANTLY ameliorated by the fact that these books are so historically sound in their basis, that if you are like me, and love going on rabbit trails when your curiosity is triggered, you can spend a LOT of time reading about the way history worked out in OUR timeline. Almost all of the characters are based on real people; they make for fascinating reading.
If the author had just used hand puppets, and told the story with them, it would still be a really nice thought-exercise of 'what-if.' However, through the eyes of the few fictional characters, we get great insights to the way people think, and what would have been real reactions to these circumstances, because the author has done a wonderful job of making the words on the page into real, flesh-and-blood people.

I'm going to eat each of these installments as they come out, BUT the real feast will be when the series is finished (and I hope that isn't going to be too soon), and I grab up every installment and binge-read. Maybe multiple times.

Delightful!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Operation Flash, Episode 2.

Finished Reading