Erica's Reviews > The Gloaming

The Gloaming by Kirsty Logan

Confession: I would not have read this had I not Goodreads-known the author. (Hi, Kirsty! I liked your book!)
And you're looking at the cover, thinking to yourself, "But this looks exactly like the kind of book you read."
You are correct. It is. But it's not in either of my library districts and I'm not one to go through tons of effort to get my hands on a book when I am surrounded by so many other books that need reading.
But then! We somehow got an audio copy of The Gracekeepers on Overdrive. I assume it's part of a bundle because we don't typically order audio copies of books if we don't already have it or other titles by the author in our print collection.
So anyway, The Gracekeepers appeared in Overdrive and I was all, "Hey! I know that author!" and then I decided I should read her other book, which is this one, so I requested it through interlibrary loan. And I read it. And now I can listen to The Gracekeepers.

I went into this blind, not knowing a thing about the story, only knowing that the cover looked lovely. Also, it's an embossed hardcover, which is super aesthetically pleasing and I was pleased.

Turns out, this story has sisters! You know I love those. And difficult mother/daughter relationships! And magical realism/folkloric atmosphere. And really pretty writing. So, yeah, this is totally the kind of book I gobble up and I was fortunate that I actually had to gobble this one because since it doesn't belong to my library, I couldn't renew it a million times and had to put everything aside and read this until it was done. Win/win.

It's not a happy story but, then, it's not supposed to be. It kind of drags at you like an undertow, pulling you out, making you feel heavy and tired. And while that sounds awful, it's definitely not because hovering over Mara, the "changeling" of the family (ironic because she is the least changelingly of them all), watching her sister, her father, her mother, and then her girlfriend and herself, move through grief, through attempts at renewal, and through finding or losing themselves, lets the reader see the pain without being drowned by it.

Ultimately, not a lot happens in this cold island story and yet, it's wonderfully beautiful, full of tiny treasures not unlike what you find after the tide goes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gloaming.

Quotes Erica Liked

Kirsty Logan
“To stay in the gloaming is to hold off the night. But if the night never comes, then neither can the day.”
Kirsty Logan, The Gloaming

September 25, 2019 – Shelved
October 20, 2019 – Started Reading
October 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Samantha (AK) That actually sounds intriguing. Thanks for the review!

Erica Samantha (AK) wrote: "That actually sounds intriguing. Thanks for the review!"

Thank you for being intrigued because of my review!