Sheffner's Reviews > The Push: A Climber's Journey of Endurance, Risk, and Going Beyond Limits

The Push by Tommy Caldwell

U 50x66

Gripping! Seriously. Written for the general (non-climbing) reader as well as the enthusiast, it contains enough honest revelation and self-scrutiny to make it engaging. The experience of being taken hostage in Kyrgyzstan as a youngster of 22 was obviously traumatic for both Caldwell and his girlfriend. I got the impression they did not get (did not seek?) the expert help they really needed which resulted in years of anguish and suffering for them and their families.

I'd seen videos of Tommy and others climbing the Dawn Wall and other places and, not being a climber myself, had the vague notion that climbers arrived at the foot of a climb, roped up and got going, so I was amazed to discover that, erm, it's not that simple. Firstly, climbing the Dawn Wall took Tommy and Kevin 19 days to climb this 900 metre wall! And they climbed up and down each bit of it (each "pitch") many, many times. They slept on the wall. It was (if I remember rightly) the longest time to date that Tommy had been off the ground. In addition, they both had climbed parts of this climb many, many times over the previous years.

I enjoyed being in the "company" of Tommy and his various climbing companions over the course of this book: they are a very different breed of people from the ones I normally associate with. It was a trip into another world with some absolutely remarkable people. Can't wait to see the movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Push.

September 15, 2019 – Started Reading