Susan Swiderski's Reviews > A Bit About Britain's History: From a long time ago until quite recently

A Bit About Britain's History by Mike  Biles

bookshelves: educational, historical, non-fiction, humorous

Like most Americans, I had a rather rudimentary education about British history, so this book seemed the perfect antidote for that particular affliction. Indeed, it did fill in some gaps nicely, and what's more, it did so with some delightful dollops of humor, (ahem... humour...) as well.

Do you have to be a history nerd to enjoy this book? No, of course not. (But it helps.) I particularly enjoyed reading the parts about more recent history... like from WWI on. It was interesting to get a fresh perspective (i.e. Brit point of view) on parts of history I was already fairly familiar with.

I must, however, confess that I skimmed over (i.e. skipped) the lengthy time line at the end of the book. I appreciate how much research and effort the author put into compiling it, but I chose not to read it. For me, it was kinda like skipping the "begats" in the Bible, ya know? (Something tells me I probably missed out on some really good chuckles by skipping it, though... )

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bit About Britain's History.

Started Reading