Brian's Reviews > Among the Impostors

Among the Impostors by Margaret Peterson Haddix

M 50x66
Mar 22, 2012

In the book "Among the Impostors" Luke Garner, who is now Lee Grant, is secretly an illegal third child who has his identity changed in order to have a better life. After being taken from his real family and replacing a boy who was killed in a skiing accident, Luke's sent to Hendrick's School for boys. Jonas from "The Giver", is a very similar character. For example, they both live in a world struggling to maintain perfection. The places they live also have similar laws, including that parents are allowed only two children. Another thing they have in common is that they both end up leaving their communities for better lives. I liked Luke more because Luke must overcome more challenges and difficulties than Jonas. Overall, "Among the Impostors" is a very exciting book that can draw in any audience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Impostors.

message 1: by Zach (new)

Zach Very nice review Brian! I haven't read this book, but I've read a book similar to it. This book fits my style perfectly, and I'm going to look into this book. From the sounds of it, Jonas and Luke seem like two characters with the same characteristics. Jonas also had to overcome many difficulties and challenges so I’m wondering how much Luke has to overcome. This was a very nice review, and I’m looking forward to reading this book.

message 2: by Jacob (new)

Jacob I think that it is very bad that he has to be the third child. It would not have been legal in the United States. I believe that these laws should be vetoed because of how cruel these amendments are. However, I think that this community is better than The Giver's community.