Eric Mesa's Reviews > Serious Python: Black-Belt Advice on Deployment, Scalability, Testing, and More

Serious Python by Julien Danjou

bookshelves: programming

This is an AWESOME book that has completely transformed the way I code in Python. That might sound like the opening to a parody review, but I'm being sincere. One of the best things about Python is that it has a low barrier to entry and it's easy to get started programming. One of the worst things about Python is that it has a low barrier to entry and it's easy to get started programming. I've been going through the past 15ish years with just a surface-level understanding of my favorite programming language.

On my biggest, most used (by others) Python program, I've gone from code to looks like this (https://github.com/djotaku/ELDonation...) to a package that's published on PyPi (https://pypi.org/project/eldonationtr...) and auto-generated documentation(https://eldonationtracker.readthedocs...), pulling from my Python docstrings (https://eldonationtracker.readthedocs...) with even more ways I'm going to fix/optimize my code and make it more Pythonic. I think this is the best book I've read on Python programming since the Mark Pilgrim book that got me into Python that decade and a half ago.

Seriously, if you are self-taught on Python and want to go to the next level, you NEED to read this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serious Python.

September 24, 2019 – Shelved
September 24, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
January 25, 2020 – Started Reading
January 25, 2020 – Shelved as: programming
January 25, 2020 –
13.0% "Working on a refactor, so wanted to get some of these principles in use for this refactor."
February 7, 2020 –
21.0% "Learning more about the import system and some included libraries that will make some of my programs run better."
February 10, 2020 –
30.0% "Learned how important timezones are in making sure time isn't ambiguous"
February 14, 2020 –
38.0% "Learned some AWESOME stuff about setuptools that will make my life easier as I move towards getting my programs to be more pythonic"
February 18, 2020 –
48.0% "Learned some really awesome stuff for testing"
February 19, 2020 –
56.0% "Decorators: still a little confusing, but I understand them better than I did before."
February 20, 2020 –
63.0% "Learned some AWESOME concepts around iterators and generators that, if I can get them to stick in my brain, will help me make more efficient, Pythonic code. Also, a great summary of some built-in itertools"
February 21, 2020 –
80.0% "AST and optimization. MOSTLY do not apply to me at this time. I'm not quite advanced enough to make use of the content of these chapters."
February 24, 2020 –
85.0% "AWESOME chapter about concurrency that just blew my mind about some of the things I can do (and am doing wrong) in my code"
February 25, 2020 – Finished Reading