Marilyn Rondeau's Reviews > She Tempts the Duke

She Tempts the Duke by Lorraine Heath

Mar 22, 2012

Read in March, 2012

Once upon a time three young boys, imprisoned by an unscrupulous and mentally deranged uncle, escaped—to the sea, to the streets, to a faraway battle—awaiting the day when they would return to reclaim their birthright. Sebastian Easton always vowed he would avenge his stolen youth and title and connect with his two brother. Now back in London, the rightful Duke of Keswick—returning from battle a wounded, hardened, changed man—cannot forget the brave girl who once saved him and his brothers from certain death.

Lady Mary Wynne-Jones never forgot her first love and first kiss from Sebastian, but after a severe punishment for that deed, and when Sebastian failed to return to a rendezvous they had planned, Mary thought him surely dead. Pressed forward by her father she was now betrothed. But when Sebastian and his brothers made their miraculous and ill-advised re-entry by swaggering into their Uncle’s ball, everyone was aghast and annoyed that the Easton brothers had been so outrageous in their un-gentlemanly behavior. However, Mary was delighted and puzzled seeing how the war Sebastian had fought in had ravaged his face and left an eye on the battlefield.

*** I was thrilled with this entry by one of my many favorite authors. Ms. Heath always creates some of the most unforgettable characters, fleshing them out with superlative adroitness so that you can feel their seething emotions and motivations. In this opening yarn of the series Lords of Pembrook I was immediately seized with the danger and helplessness these young boys felt coming right after laying their father in the ground. It was something I felt down to my very soul as to how anyone could be so cruel to children who had just lost their loving father.

Heath gives an emotional beginning and then follows through with niggling clues that what these three young Lords had suffered will, as the series progresses, pull at your heartstrings. I for one cannot wait. However, getting back to this first book SHE TEMPTS THE DUKE Heath gives us a real shock to see the eldest brother Sebastian who seems to have physically suffered the worst in his journey to come back and reclaim his title and life. Sebastian had gone to war, and on top of questioning himself for splitting up and leaving his brothers in order to stay safe, he has come back in bitterness after losing an eye and the ravage to his face - all caused by the depravity of his uncle! Additionally, the one person who had been his one true friend, Mary was now lost to him. Betrothed or not, how could he expect her to even be able to look at him, let alone love him as he once cared for her.

SHE TEMPTS A DUKE is an absolutely stellar read, with betrayals and secrets, passion and emotional highs and lows. A true gem of an entry that looks to be a thrilling series! This should definitely be put on your must-read lists!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Tempts the Duke.