Akilah's Reviews > Frankly in Love

Frankly in Love by David   Yoon

liked it
bookshelves: 2019, dec, poc

2.5 stars, rounding up

So, the thing about this book is that I thought the first half was a bit of a mess, but the second half was pretty good. Also, everything in the first half set up the second half, but all of the first half stuff felt so rushed. Basically, the whole thing is very oddly paced.

I love (I mean, LOVE) the fake dating trope, and I do like how Yoon tried to complicate it, but, again, the rushed pacing in the beginning means the payoff wasn't that great in that particular trope, though I do like the complications he added with the family stuff. I wish the novel were either longer so Yoon could have slowed down some of the action to develop the characters and relationships more (esp. Brit and Joy and their relationships with Frank) or more--poetic, I guess is the right word. And what I mean by that is that I wish there had been an economy of language to better convey what he was telling the reader so he could show the reader instead if the novel length is the length he wants it to be.

Also, if you are a person who loves precocious teen speak (i.e., in the style of John Green and/or Dawson's Creek), you will love the dialogue in this novel. For me, at times, it became a bit too much, but that's usually how these things go.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frankly in Love.

September 23, 2019 – Shelved