Holly's Reviews > Murder at Kensington Palace

Murder at Kensington Palace by Andrea Penrose

9862044

** spoiler alert ** ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley.

Due to the nature of the investigation, it is time for Charlotte to reveal she is the daughter of an earl (dead) and rejoin society in order to help clear her cousin's name. Wrexford makes sure she has papers that show Hawke and Raven are her and her late husband's wards. She struggles with giving up a life she has control over and the effects on those around her but she didn't think of that protection for the boys.

They aren't talking about the kiss in the last book. The romance reader in me really wants them to talk about that kiss! And potential future kisses! But they're dealing with more urgent matters at the moment. They don't point out the obvious that now she is more of a social equal, their marriage wouldn't be blinked at, though Charlotte being back on the marriage mart is mentioned. I would love to see them as a married couple investigating crimes.

There's a mess of suspects - fellow scientists, men he gambled with, his romantic rival, and the brother in jail who did curse his fate in being born a few minutes earlier than him. Science nerds will enjoy learning about the scientific experiments in botany and biology at the time.

Charlotte's now moving with other bluestockings and we'll see more of that part of society than her time alone. She is building up connections with two potential suspects, both women who are known for their intelligence.

There is much less of a royal presence than the title may imply. I prefer the book for it, to be honest, because everyday life is more interesting than the formality of court. I did enjoy the twists of this mystery and the slippery clues that present themselves. Perfect for historical mystery readers who would enjoy the scientific aspects of the time as well as the political.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder at Kensington Palace.

September 23, 2019 – Started Reading