megs_bookrack's Reviews > Darling Rose Gold

Darling Rose Gold by Stephanie Wrobel

bookshelves: arcs-read
Recommended for: Slytherins

**4.5-stars**

Patty Watts was arrested and charged with poisoning her only daughter, Rose Gold.

An alleged case of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy, Patty was purported to have been abusing Rose Gold her entire life.

As a late teenager, Rose Gold, whose body has suffered permanent damage, confesses some things to a neighborhood friend and the adults around her end up putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

Ultimately, Rose Gold testified against her Mother in court and she was sentenced to five years in prison. As you can imagine, this has led to an estranged relationship.

Darling Rose Gold follow the perspectives of both Patty and Rose Gold.

We follow Patty after she is released from serving her time and Rose Gold after her Mother is prosecuted up through the present day.

As Patty is released, she is picked up outside the prison gates by Rose Gold. It seems during the interim of her time away they have begun the process of healing their relationship.

Rose Gold is now a mother herself, of little Adam, and has purchased her own home. Since Patty has nowhere else to go, it is decided that she will move in with them until she can get back on her feet.

This book is full of messed up twists and keeps its intensity throughout as the varying timelines come closer and closer to merging.

I love this type of format. I always end up racing through so fast to get to that climatic scene at the end.

About mid-way through I knew hoped I knew where this was going. It went there and I was hella happy about it.

A revenge story is one of my favorite tropes of all time. This one satisfied me in that regard and was full of masterful manipulation.

I have often mentioned that I love a good long-game; this story had that in spades. Well played, Wrobel.

There were definitely parts that made me uncomfortable, particularly the focus on Rose Gold's ruined teeth, but I understand where the author was coming from in framing it that way.

Rose Gold and Patty definitely shared one of the most f*ed up relationships I have ever read. It's also one I remember for a long time.

Thank you so much to the publisher, Berkley Publishing Group, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to more from Stephanie Wrobel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darling Rose Gold.

September 23, 2019 – Shelved
September 23, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 5, 2020 – Started Reading
March 6, 2020 –
March 11, 2020 –
March 12, 2020 –
March 13, 2020 –
March 16, 2020 –
42.0% "Man, I wish a dentist in Rose Gold's area would have volunteered to fix her teeth for free. Every face-to-face interaction with her and the outside world makes me so uncomfortable. I just feel so bad for her to the point where it is hard for me to enjoy..."
March 16, 2020 – 0.0% "Well, well, well...

Rose Gold, you devious little scamp.
You make me proud."
March 16, 2020 –
51.0% "Well, well, well...

Rose Gold, you devious little scamp.
You make me proud."
54.0% "HOLY S#!T
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG"
March 17, 2020 –
68.0% "HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY to Darling Rose Gold and Stephanie Wrobel. This is such a twisted little tale, I am really enjoying it! The good news is, you can get your copy now. Join me in the fun!!!"
March 19, 2020 –
83.0% "I hope I have figured out where this is going because what I have deviously plotted would be epic...

Look out Patty Watts."
March 20, 2020 – Shelved as: arcs-read
March 20, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Quick Seeing this on my feed a lot! Hope you love it!

megs_bookrack Kelsey wrote: "Seeing this on my feed a lot! Hope you love it!" I think it sounds so interesting!

message 3: by Melinda (new) - added it

Melinda Have you read this yet?

megs_bookrack Melinda wrote: "Have you read this yet?" Sorry I missed you comment, Melinda!! I haven't read it yet. I am hoping to get to it the end of December!

message 5: by Melinda (new) - added it

Melinda That's ok, it's all good!! This one sounds awesome....it's on the top of my Santa list!!!

megs_bookrack Melinda wrote: "That's ok, it's all good!! This one sounds awesome....it's on the top of my Santa list!!!"I hope you get a copy and look forward to hearing your thoughts!! xo

Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell Did you end up reading this one?? It's REALLY fun!

megs_bookrack Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ wrote: "Did you end up reading this one?? It's REALLY fun!"Not yet! Definitely looking forward to it though. It's slated for the 1st week of March, unless I can get to it before then...but it's doubtful! Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much though! That's motivating!!! xo

stabsasawarning 🗡️ Idk who is this person on the GIF, but it makes me 110% gayer

stabsasawarning 🗡️ *on the first one. FRIENDS is too problematic of a show

Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell megs_bookrack wrote: "Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ wrote: "Did you end up reading this one?? It's REALLY fun!"Not yet! Definitely looking forward to it though. It's slated for the 1st week of March, unless I can get..."

Ahh, that makes sense! Happy reading. I'm always glad to motivate! <3

megs_bookrack stabsasawarning 🗡️ wrote: "Idk who is this person on the GIF, but it makes me 110% gayer"
Hahaha, I love that! I think she is on a podcast or something. Her picture lurks a lot around the gif world. :)

megs_bookrack Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ wrote: "megs_bookrack wrote: "Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ wrote: "Did you end up reading this one?? It's REALLY fun!"Not yet! Definitely looking forward to it though. It's slated for the 1st week of M..." Thanks so much! xo

message 14: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Anticipating this one!

*JEN the booknerd* Ooooh I can not WAIT for this one!!!!

megs_bookrack Michelle wrote: "Anticipating this one!"I'm excited. I have been putting it off for a while so I could read it closer to release date!

megs_bookrack *JEN the booknerd* wrote: "Ooooh I can not WAIT for this one!!!!" It does sound so intriguing!!!

FanFiAddict Hope you enjoy!

megs_bookrack FanFiAddict wrote: "Hope you enjoy!" Thank you so much! I have a good feeling about it.