megs_bookrack's Reviews > The Girl from the Well

The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco

When the hosts of the Dragons & Tea Book Club announced this as our October pick, I was genuinely excited. A YA horror novel I had never heard of, I was completely intrigued.

Then I discover people comparing the vibe to one of my favorite horror movies of the early 2000s, The Grudge, and I was sold!

I am so happy to report that I really enjoyed this. I could not put it down once I started. I love this type of horror. It was smart and visceral with great characters and atmosphere.

One of the biggest surprises of this book was the perspective from which it is told. A 300-year old vengeful spirit is our narrator. She becomes tied to our protagonist, a troubled boy named Tark, and we follow along with them as she tries to protect him from others out to do him harm.

It's hard to talk about this book without giving too much away. It was a very engaging plot with a lot of Japanese cultural influences which I found just so interesting.

The cultural perspectives in regards to spirits, the afterlife and all things related to those topics, it was really well done. I seriously would consider reading this again because I am sure that I missed a ton of fine details.

During the course of the story our characters travel from suburban American to Japan. It is there that the creepiness begins to kick it up a notch. We have ancient temples, local folklore and legends, crazy ass doll rituals and Shinto exorcisms.

This story is very graphic and definitely doesn't shy away from violence on page. Some of the scenes were hard to read. The narrators detachment in the midst of violence, pain and suffering was truly unsettling. Well done on Chupeco's part. That has to be hard to write consistently from that perspective.

I was really impressed with this overall. It wasn't perfect. There were some points in the narrative that were a tad confusing or even repetitive but overall, very solid horror story.

I definitely plan to pick up more books from this author in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl from the Well.

September 23, 2019 – Shelved
September 23, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
October 21, 2019 – Started Reading
October 21, 2019 –
20.0% "LOVING THIS SO FAR!!!
Perfect for Spooktober."
October 22, 2019 –
40.0% ""
October 23, 2019 –
60.0% "I have found a hidden gem and it feels so good.
Well, I didn't find it -- thank you to Mel & Amy @ the Dragons & Tea Book Club for this gift of a selection!

"
October 24, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Quick OMG If this has all "The Ring" vibes then you know I'm gonna need it.

Carrie (brightbeautifulthings) Love this one so much! Perfect spooky October read.

megs_bookrack Kelsey wrote: "OMG If this has all "The Ring" vibes then you know I'm gonna need it." Remember the movie, The Grudge? It's more like that. It's really good so far, I read the first four chapters this morning before work. It is from the perspective of a vengeful spirit.

megs_bookrack Carrie (brightbeautifulthings) wrote: "Love this one so much! Perfect spooky October read."
It is a perfect choice for the month!

The Masked Reader Good review.

megs_bookrack Javelyn wrote: "Good review." Thank you. More thoughts coming soon!

Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ Ohhh I’m reading The Bone Witch which she wrote and I’m liking it a lot!

megs_bookrack Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ wrote: "Ohhh I’m reading The Bone Witch which she wrote and I’m liking it a lot!"
I am definitely adding that series to my TBR. Glad to hear you are enjoying it!!!

message 9: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra fabulous review, Meg!

megs_bookrack Debra wrote: "fabulous review, Meg!"Thank you so much, Debra! I appreciate your kindness. xo