Kevin O'Brien's Reviews > Been So Long: My Life and Music

Been So Long by Jorma Kaukonen

bookshelves: kindle, music
Read 2 times

This is the autobiography of a musician who experienced the psychedelic 60s and lived to tell about it. But it is also the story of a man who screwed up his life with booze and drugs, yet eventually found recovery and peace. I initially wanted to read it because I have been a big fan of Jefferson Airplane since the 1960s, and then a big fan of Hot Tuna, the band Jorma put together with Jack Casady as the Airplane was imploding. Jorma was responsible, in part, for some really great music, but I knew there was more to the story that I had not known, so I was eager to read this. But the story of him turning his life around ended up being at least as important to me. I would recommend it highly to anyone who is either a fan of that music, or is interested in people who recover and turn their life around. IF you are one of those people, pick it up, you won't regret it.

BTW, I continue to catch Jorma (with or without Hot Tuna) whenever he is in town, and I can see very plainly a man at peace, and I am happy for him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Been So Long.

Finished Reading
June 20, 2019 – Shelved as: music (Kindle Edition)
June 20, 2019 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
June 20, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle (Kindle Edition)
June 20, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
September 15, 2019 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
September 23, 2019 – Shelved
September 23, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle
September 23, 2019 – Shelved as: music
September 23, 2019 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)