Atlas Can's Reviews > Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse

Mar 22, 2012

Grandfather of many steppenwolves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steppenwolf.

Quotes Atlas Liked

Hermann Hesse
“Most men will not swim before they are able to.” Is that not witty? Naturally, they won't swim! They are born for the solid earth, not for the water. And naturally they wont think. They are made for life, not for thought. Yes, and he who thinks, what’s more, he who makes thought his business, he may go far in it, but he has bartered the solid earth for the water all the same, and one day he will drown.”

Hermann Hesse
“I would traverse not once more, but often the hell of my inner being. One day I would be a better hand at the game. One day I would learn how to laugh. Pablo was waiting for me, and Mozart too.”

Hermann Hesse
“You are willing to die, you coward, but not to live.”

Hermann Hesse
“The cup was emptied and would never be filled again.”

Hermann Hesse
“The man of power is ruined by power, the man of money by money, the submissive man by subservience, the pleasure seeker by pleasure.”

Hermann Hesse
“Life is always frightful. We cannot help it and we are responsible all the same. One's born and at once one is guilty. You must have had a remarkable sort of religious education if you did not know that.”

Hermann Hesse
“That man is not yet a finished creation but rather a challenge of the spirit; a distant possibility dreaded as much as it is desired; that the way towards it has only been covered for a short distance and with terrible agonies and ecstasies even by those few for whom it is the scaffold today and the monument tomorrow - all this the Steppenwolf, too, suspected.”

05/04/2015 marked as: read

Glenn Russell Love your one-liner. I wrote a review of this novel I'd love to have you review and let me know what you think.