Jena Henry's Reviews > Why We Can't Sleep: Women's New Midlife Crisis

Why We Can't Sleep by Ada Calhoun

Have you seen that meme? The one about your brain at 3 am waking you to review every dumb and cringe-worthy thing you have done lately? Then this is the book for you, especially if you are part of Generation X.

In her fascinating end notes, the author tells us that there is a range of years that can be called Generation X. One range is 1965-1984, from the movie Dr. Zhivago to the movie Ghostbusters. Another range is 1965-1980. Whichever range you pick, if you are a Gen X-er, this is the book for you. You may be single, married or considering divorce; you may want or not want children and you may be caught up in the busy childhood years; do you have parents who need help, too? And what about your health- do you exercise, diet, meditate? Are you in peri-menopause or menopause? No wonder you can’t sleep at night. I advise you to read this book with your friends and discuss it. You will find that author Ada Calhoun is like a friend, as she giveus friendly, comforting, and well-considered facts and advice. She also includes a lengthy and fabulous “Midlife Crisis Mixtape.”

The book consists of research and the author’s interviews with Gen X women, all blended in an interesting and relatable way. The writing is positive and encouraging, even while describing some grim scenes. There is no shrieking or gnashing of teeth, more like bemused reflections. In addition to chapters that consider the challenges of Gen X, the author also presents some solutions. I especially liked her advice to join a club or start a club. I highlighted so many passages in this book.

I loved, loved loved this book and I am in the Baby Boomer Generation- but I remember my middle decades all too well (and so does my brain at 3 am.) I agree with the book- as an older person I AM now happier and yes, Gen X friend, someday you will be me. In the meantime, read this book!

Many thanks to Net Galley and Grove Press for a digital review co-y. This is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Can't Sleep.

Finished Reading