Kristen's Reviews > Penelope's Daughter

Penelope's Daughter by Laurel Corona

Mar 21, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, classic-literature, drama, historical-fiction
Read from March 21 to 25, 2012

I really loved this book. It is set during the time of The Odyssey but is told from Odysseus' daughter's perspective. I liked The Odyssey, of course, but I had some issues with the lack of female characters of strength in it. I know that was just the way it was back in the day, so it's not really a complaint. But I am a sucker for classics retold through the eyes of women.

All three main women - Penelope, Helen and of course Xanthe - are strong, flawed and believable. I especially found Helen intriguing. After Troy, she just came home with Menelaus and went on with her life. What else was there for her to do? She did it, and did it elegantly.

I really enjoyed, too, Xanthe's story, and seeing her grow to womanhood. I don't know much about weaving, but I liked the way she told her story by weaving it. Maybe that was the only way it would really have worked, since I don't think she was supposed to be literate. Using such a feminine skill to tell her story, a skill that was a vital element of her life used to create functionality as well as a way to create beauty, fit in perfectly with the story, IMHO.

I definitely recommend this book to lovers of classical epics, of tales retold, and of strong women.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Penelope's Daughter.