Hannah's Reviews > Maiden, Mother, and Crone: Fantastical Trans Femmes

Maiden, Mother, and Crone by Gwen Benaway

A truly unique and clever short story collection. I loved the idea of transwomen telling trans stories in a fantasy context. Each story was it's own and explored its trans characters in different ways. All the characters were shaped by being trans but that wasn't their only defining characteristic. Which is something that I can only imagine someone who is trans deals with on a daily basis.

My favorite stores were the ones that subverted my expectations. I also really admired the stories that created a metaphor or analogy in the fantasy setting.

Overall, a really good short story collection full of all kinds of stories from a really talented set of writers and truly amazing women.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maiden, Mother, and Crone.

September 22, 2019 – Started Reading
September 22, 2019 – Shelved
September 22, 2019 –
page 28
"The Mountain God: 3.5 stars I liked the premise but ultimately felt like I was dropping in the middle of the story. It felt like an excerpt rather than a short story. Although I really enjoyed both Aoyas and Rais."
September 23, 2019 –
page 41
"Forest's Edge: 5 stars

I loved this story. It had the feel of a classic fairy tale. It broke my heart and then helped me find the pieces to put it back together again. True a wonderful story!"
September 23, 2019 –
page 52
"The Vixen, With Death Pursuing: 3 stars

This was a good story. I liked it, didn't love it. The imagery was nice."
September 24, 2019 –
page 67
"Potions and Practices: 4 stars

An interesting take on the fantastical transitioning narrative. It felt a little like a highlights reel, which very much could be intentional, but that made it feel rushed."
September 25, 2019 –
page 85
"Freeing the Bitch: 5 stars

This is was exactly what I love. It was like a kickass D&D campaign with interesting and badass female characters. I loved every second of it and would read more if I could!"
September 25, 2019 –
page 94
"The Knighting: 4 stars

This was a super interesting story dealing with the complexities of gender and traditional roles. I really liked the analogy in a fantasy setting."
September 26, 2019 –
page 99
"Undoing Vampirism: 5 stars

I totally forgot about urban fantasy and this story delivered. It was funny, it was woke, and it called out bullshit. I loved it!"
September 26, 2019 –
page 110
"i shall remain: 3 stars

An interesting lore, it didn't grab my attention as much as I wanted it to."
page 129
"Dreamborn: 4 stars

I liked this story a lot. Told from the perspective of a race of people invaded by humans that don't understand their ways. Of a woman saving beloved children taken away and her goddaughter."
page 137
"Failure: 3 stars

Interesting concept of revivers, lone women who have to travel and heal others but I got lost a little in the middle. Great imagery though!"
page 149
"Perisher: 3 stars

Well written good story just not my particular cup of tea. I liked the idea of a ghost being tethered to a person, especially someone who killed them. However, the detective investigating a murder involving organized crime just isn't my fav."
September 27, 2019 – Finished Reading