Valerie's Reviews > The Other Guy's Bride

The Other Guy's Bride by Connie Brockway

Mar 21, 2012

Read from March 21 to 28, 2012

Ok typically I don't read romance but I guess having a Kindle and the Amazon renting library is changing that. Probably I originally saved this one because of the synopsis, probably focusing more on the whole Egypt part rather than romance. But as romance novels go, this was pretty good. It didn't feel like I was reading some cheesy-thrown-together-in-5-minutes book at all. In fact, I enjoyed that the author used words that you don't typically see in novels today -- nothing strange, just a little bit higher vocabulary than I'm used to seeing with modern books. I had to look up a few definitions - sure, context helps me figure it out no problem, but the Kindle makes it oh, so easy, to get the definition - and I liked that. I didn't notice any major mistakes that would make my eye twitch, either; just one spot where our heroine is referred to by the wrong name, that was a little confusing. But overall the book went very quickly and was enjoyable.

Yes, this was graphic. On two accounts, but for those sensitive to that, it should be easy to skip that and not miss anything.

I also didn't know, until after I'd rented this, that it was #2 in a series. I typically hate reading books out of order, but this one was able to stand on its own. I didn't feel as if I was missing part of the story or coming late to the party.

Now for spoilers.

One thing I was a little disappointed in was the lack of closure on a few characters. I mean, we get that Mildred would have gone through with her marriage to What's-His-Face, but what happened? Was she happy in the middle of the fictional desert? What about Jock? I mean, that was a big issue there. Jock had asked Genisse to marry him, so what, he goes on his merry way completely happy to later find out that his brother "had" her both before and after that and would marry her instead of him? Just seems like the author could have at least added a piece to the epilogue or that last chapter that said hey, we went and told Jock and this was his reaction... Of course, he was so enamored with Big Brother that he probably would have been hurt but have gotten over it quickly. I would have liked to see him in the epilogue and at least mention he'd found a love interest of his own. I kinda kept thinking maybe he'd end up with Mildred, heehee.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Guy's Bride.