Laura's Reviews > Trouble on the Books

Trouble on the Books by Essie Lang

F 50x66

liked it

Shelby Cox is helping her aunt, who has health problems, at the bookstore in her hometown of Alexandria Bay in the Thousand Islands region. She soon discovers she will also run the store's second location in the castle on nearby Blye Island.

But a murder before the store opens for tourist season makes things hard to handle. Aunt Edie is not happy to hear the castle caretaker, Matthew Kessler, is the main suspect, and she enlists Shelby to clear his name. Zack Griffin, of the Coast Guard Investigative Service, tries to hold Shelby back in an effort to keep her safe. Can she figure out what happened before it's too late for her?

I really wanted to like this book but it just didn't work for me. The murder took place before we knew the characters very well, and after that I have to admit I felt a little lost. It took me far too long to finish it because it didn't hold my interest and I kept putting it down. And I did figure it out before the reveal. I will read the second book from the library, as I did ask them to order it. All in all, the pacing kept this book from being a page turner for me.

I read a digital copy of this book provided from the publisher through NetGalley.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trouble on the Books.

September 21, 2019 – Shelved