Andrea's Reviews > Goalie Interference

Goalie Interference by Avon Gale

bookshelves: arc, m-m, diverse-reads, lgbtqiap, sports

This was a steamy and adorable sports romance.

This story features two men of color as the protagonist. Emmitt is a black man trying to make it in the NHL, and Ryu is Japanese American.

The story kicks off with Emmitt being drafted to the NHL from the minor leagues, which is where he previously played. When he arrives to his new team, he realizes he'll have to compete against Ryu, the teams goalie, for the starting spot for the season.

Not only is this an enemies to lovers story, but it also has an opposites attract trope. Emmitt is loud, a little bit obnoxious, and arrogant. Ryu has this driven, more reserved personality. I think they complemented each other really well. The banter between them was my favorite. I loved the hate to love that coated their relationship at the beginning. I also really loved how they went from enemies to eventually developing feelings for each other. It felt really authentic.

The ending felt a bit rushed to me. Everything kind of wraps up and resolves itself fairly quick. It's definitely an HFN ending, rather than HEA, which isn't bad, but just leaves a little bit of unresolved issues for the future. Though I suppose that's realistic.

This was a cute, enemies to lovers romance. While I didn't like it as much as the first book, this was a nice addition to the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goalie Interference.

September 21, 2019 – Shelved