Abbyb1's Reviews > Sweetness in the Belly

Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb

Mar 21, 2012

Read from March 21 to 23, 2012

I didn't really begin to enjoy this book until I passed page 70ish and I had a more complete picture of how the world of "present-day" London and the one of "past-day" life in Ethiopia combined. Although I'm not necessarily a romantic by nature, I do think the book became more meaningful for me once Dr. Aziz entered the picture which made Lilly's "work" in London more relevant. I found almost all the relationships in the novel intriguing - Lilly and Hussein, Lilly and her parents, Amina and Yusef, Lilly and Robin, etc., Gibb is masterful with some of her prose as well. Some of her words just made me stop and need to read the lines aloud simply because either they or the image they painted were so beautiful. In the end, Lilly's personal "jihad" is what kept me glued to this book. Her struggle with what it means to be a Muslim woman who is struggling with being lured to someone and some things that are definitely "non-Muslim" is realistic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetness in the Belly.